Solex B30 PSEI carbs... interchangeability with 'odd' Solex carb?

Colin Lindsay

I've been reading books on Solex carbs for the last hour and my brain hurts so I'll post here for the carb experts to discuss and advise.

I'm sorting out an entire drawer of carbs and carb bits... I have three 'standard' Herald B30 PSEI Solex carbs but also a slightly larger version, which although it's marked B30 PSEI has a longer neck and slightly different cable attachments.

IMG_4794.thumb.jpeg.93f05d43a1225e29676d3d912e9c4c80.jpeg

Needs a good clean... but brackets for cables aside all else fits the Herald; same manifold mountings and the neck takes the Herald air filter box. I can't work out what it's from, but a quick web search hints that the letters 'LJ' on the end point towards Citroen and Standard. I'll clean it up but am wondering if there's any reason it won't fit a Herald, with the 'proper' jets etc fitted? I'm guessing it's a more modern version so there's a possibility it might run slightly better than the original? Don't need it, but might as well experiment.

IMG_4793.thumb.jpeg.af07abd3d5401ec3587798eb0a37ac71.jpeg

Surely not PSE1 - looks like a ZIC (no pump,disc choke) to me.  28 fitted to 948s, 30 for early 1200s (both ZIC 3 and ZIC 5).  Can't speak to cable attachments. though as I aint going out to the garage in this cold to check.  Ford Anglia SV?

C.

The rear of the body appears to read B30PSEI 2, it's very worn, and above that it seems to say LJ then 67? Do you reckon it's older than a Herald carb? (so no improvement?) - it's funny but after a night cross-referencing, and trying to make things out, I spotted the 2 almost immediately today. Ford Anglia possibly. That being the case it should be better than the Herald carb?

IMG_4795.thumb.jpeg.ed4304612475f62ad2a093b0b63d2603.jpeg

IMG_4803.thumb.jpeg.3b815dd48b9b37ddbe6e13b201f7553f.jpeg

Best I can do!! It's funny but my book on Solex Carbs - "Tuning Solex Carburettors" by R C Pack and Charles Wheeler doesn't mention the 30 series at all. I've found quite a few online resources that also omit it, jumping straight from 28 to 32, but I cannot find a simple reference that tells me what the difference is between the PSEI and the PSEI 2. Intake is the same, outlet fits the Herald manifold, the two cable brackets are different but easily interchangeable, that's just due to the different model of vehicle it was fitted to... I'll post a few more photos to compare the two types, purely for information.

7 minutes ago, Casper said:

I see in your later pics that it doe have pump, so not ZIC.

C.

Earlier than ZIC; it also has the Economiser on the side which Heralds never got. I'm wary of repairing it to destruction if I start to dismantle so am checking all the options first - Solex carbs for the 1200 are becoming hard to get.

Any idea what the brass cap on the top is for?

IMG_4804.thumb.jpeg.9c6b51762bc2f070a793efbf063ca6ef.jpeg