1979 Vermillion Spitfire 1500

On 13/01/2023 at 19:46, Jase1969 said:

It is a metal one, just waiting for warmer days to refit it. When I removed it I could see that it hadn't quite caught properly on all of the corners but wasn't noticeable when on, will keep an eye on those when I refit, it's not easy but well worth it.

I've bought a metal one 2 years ago from ebay.

Let me know how you get on with it.

Do want to fit mine on Fox when its gets paint... whenever that will be 😅

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Popped a little bit of paint on this weekend, need to do the door again, put it on quite thick with a 40/60 split to paint/thinners. Given I only heated the garage with a space heater quite pleased with the shine direct from the gun, need to flat back and polish. A lot less stressful doing a bit at a time and easier to manage.

IMG_8403.JPG

IMG_8401.jpg

IMG_8402.jpg

IMG_8404.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well did some more work on the car, oil and filter, all fluids changed except antifreeze, will do that when I can get the car outside. Changed the gearbox and overdive oil, wow it had turned into sludge so added just over a litre, will run the car and drop it again. I should change the oil in the diff, any advice on that one? Never done that before, anyway a pic of the sludge coming out of the box and some new bits on the handbrake cable.

IMG_8717.JPG

IMG_8720.JPG

On 24/03/2023 at 13:30, Pete Lewis said:

May i suggest      that nut should be screwed up against the cable fork 

there are 4 nuts  one in the fork one to lock the fork  and then one either side of the spring plate 

none left in no mans land 

Pete

Thanks Pete, have the other side to do and then adjustments before tightening up. Although I probably would have forgotten.

Yes that plus roller bearings shouldnt be packed solid with grease in fact little is better than too much because their load bearing surfaces are rolling not sliding. Of course the grease does also help to keep away any carp that has got in past the seals... 

A few more pics from today, need to get some sealant to finish off the windscreen and re-attach the chrome strip on the top of the windscreen frame, also need to finish re-painting the black finishing strips, pop some fresh petrol in and book her in fro some fresh tyres.

IMG_8924.JPG

IMG_8923.JPG

IMG_8933.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

It's coming together.

Can I ask what type of slot mags you have? Size? I had 5.5J SuperSlots and they had a tendency to rub (175/70s). I love the look of mags so wonder if there are others that are a bit less sticky out. Thanks.

Edited by AlanT

I had 13x5.5" Cobra Superslots on a Mk2 GT6 for many years, but they did rub a bit on the bulkhead, projected beyond the front arches and with the wrong tyre were very tight on the rear arches (I wonder why I bothered...alloys were faster right?).

I think the ET was +11mm, which is a bit small. ET being the horizontal distance between the centre of the wheel rim and the mounting face of the wheel.

Something like +16mm is probably the Goldilocks figure for a 5.5" rim on a Mk1 and 2 GT6, but I think the Mk3 (and presumably Mk4 and 1500 Spits have more generous arches.

Ian

• Thanks 1

I think they are Cobras, I did want Cosmic Superslots when I was looking but these were the closest at the time. Not sure what to do regarding refurbing these as I'm not keen on them polished up. They seem to sit better than the dolomite sprint wheels I had on previiously.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jase1969 said:

I think they are Cobras, I did want Cosmic Superslots when I was looking but these were the closest at the time. Not sure what to do regarding refurbing these as I'm not keen on them polished up. They seem to sit better than the dolomite sprint wheels I had on previiously.

I don't like the high gloss look either. I used 800 grade wet & dry to sand them before using a bit of T cut. It gave them a great look (pics are at the end of my resto in this forum '1980 Spitfire Revival' 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Will be test driving this weekend, still rubbing down and polishing but I can do that while I use the car :) Only two tyres fitted as they forgot the other two :) old tyres are newer than I thought so will test drive and drive the car to the tyre fitters.

IMG_9594.JPG

• Like 1