Herald 1200 Speedometer Removal - Tips & Tricks !?!

Colin

Chaps:- Just thought I'd update and 'Top & Tail' my speedo/dashboard trials & tribulations with these pics. 

Previous comments showed the declining state of the dashboard.

Herewith my pics of having picked off all the old varnish/lacquer, some judicious sanding (VERY VERY thin veneer used, I discovered!!) and after having lightly sanded the first couple of lacquer spraying passes, they show what I consider to be the finished result (in other words, I'm not doing any more to it!), not polished.

All badges will be buffed and replaced 😉 

Grateful as usual to all for their help and advices . . .

Cheers,

Colin.

Final Lacquer Coat 20230108.jpg

20230108 Final Lacquer Coat (6 or so).jpg

• Like 1

Colin - ALL the original veneer is there (although I whizzed softly through some to the sides of the ashtray slot . . . I went through to the substrate - just . . . and carefully hand painted the veneer markings back - less than .5 sq cm either side - the board itself is deffo not flat . .  so 'flatting' an unvarnished board, or after the first couple of lacquer passes (which is what I did, to let the lacquer get into the striations and shrinkings of 50 year old veneer) - is a bit of a misnomer!

Best,

C.

I was reading through this thread and was about to add 'don't try sand the lacquer off' when I seen you sanded the lacquer off', but you got off lightly it seems with minimal cut through. The lacquer and veneer on these are very thin and it's extremely easy to cut through to the ply base. What I find works best for removing the lacquer and saving the veneer is a heat gun and a semi sharp chisel, one inch or wider. Gently heat the lacquer get the chisel underneath and start taking it off in strips with the heat gun moving in front of the chisel.

End result looks good through, nice rich color 👌

Hi, Handmade 🙂. The varnish/lacquer had been peeling/dropping off in bits over a good many years. Hence, I 'steeled' myself to get to grips with it! Why it had been separating from the veneer surface is unknown - although extremes of temps in France over 10 years won't have helped! As it turned out, because of this, with a scalpel at the lifting edges, I was able to peel 4-5cm lengths of the stuff in one go. But you're right, that veneer is stupidly thin - I had no idea you could get such thin veneer! And of course, the dash is flat-ish, but not so flat that in sweeps of 180 grit it wouldn't wear away if sanded too enthusiastically! Fortunately I was able to stop m'self in time to realise and not take the damage too far! Anyway, she looks a bit like this now, waiting for a glissing of the heater box to dry before being re-installed (choke cable when in position gets in the way of painting the heater box). Thanks for all advices! Duly noted!!

Best,

Colin 

20230114_152758.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Topping and Tailing . . . 

Herewith refitted, re-lacquered dashboard. Needed a replacement wiper switch; original had a strange spring arrangement which fell apart & I failed to fix! 

All powered up and I am staggered that everything works! 

Cheers to all for sll help advice & friendship shown during this work (which only started because my headlights failed to illuminate!!)!! 

Loxley's badge going on glovebox now! 

Best 

C. 

20230128_131839.jpg