And another annoyance on Triumph wiring

ahebron

The horrid connectors used for the interior lamps and door switches on the Vitesse and other Triumphs
I know it is saving money but why couldn't they have soldered/crimped a bullet connector to the end of the wire, instead you just pressing the hollow bullet into the receiver catching the bare wire as you do so. 
I made a wee extension cable and soldered bullets on both ends of the Vitesse 6 door switch ones and sleeved the cable with a bit of rubber tubing. 

I heard a quote by Henry Ford recently, something about the cost of his petrol pumps back in the day - maybe someone here will advise as to the exact nature of what he was saying, but I sort of remember that someone asked him why he made petrol pumps to a certain design that either only cost a dollar, or he saved a dollar on each one by cheaper manufacture. He replied: "young man, I intend to make fifteen million of these".

Probably any kind of improvement in electrical connectors over the production life of our cars would have pushed costs up, and they were already quite expensive in some cases.

Henry Ford did order one part of the Model T to be redesigned after the first year of production - because they hadn't had a single one fail.  His logic being if none of them had failed they were over-engineered and could be replaced with something cheaper.

14 hours ago, ahebron said:

The horrid connectors used for the interior lamps and door switches on the Vitesse and other Triumphs
I know it is saving money but why couldn't they have soldered/crimped a bullet connector to the end of the wire, instead you just pressing the hollow bullet into the receiver catching the bare wire as you do so. 
I made a wee extension cable and soldered bullets on both ends of the Vitesse 6 door switch ones and sleeved the cable with a bit of rubber tubing. 

Really and truly are IDC connectors any better than those? Some are used  in helicopters. Hope I never have to ride in one. Mrs Wagger did, when breaking an ankle on our downs, coastguard one too. They flew her over the cemetery and she asked if they could drop her off. Morphine plus her black humour.

Hey Ive got no complaints on Triumph wiring - mines over 50years old and as original and although the car has lead a cossetted life I think Henry Ford would be gutted😊

Showing the quality of materials neither the copper or plastic has hardened, corrosion is minimal and even the earths have given no problems. About the only issue I have is that some of the metal loom support tags have snapped off and a few of the double bullet to bullet connectors in the bonnet area crumbled....