How wet do plugs get after continuous cranking with choke on.

daverclasper

Not a problem at all, though interested.

A good while back my car wouldn't start. I checked fuel area first. It was getting fuel to carbs, though even with a lot of cranking, all the plugs were dry and I assumed they would be wet?.

I assumed an issue with the carbs, not supplying fuel into manifold, though seemed unlikely that both carbs not behaving at the same time.

As it turned out it was a points issue.

So, really I should have just left the thread title as a question, though now I may as well leave my rambling on here now.

Cheers, and Happy Spring

Edited by daverclasper

Difficult to quantify, but they certainly do get wet and wetter from slightly glistening to there is a discernible layer of  of petrol on them.

In the  olden  days,  there were priming ports on the cylinder(s),and even sometimes incorporated into the sparking plugs themselves, through which a small amount of neat petrol,  say half a teaspoonful, was injected to help start up.

Later, car handbooks used to warn  of the consequences of running the engine with the “choke left out” as the excess petrol would wash away lubricant from the piston/cylinder  walls and cause premature wear. 

think the biggest problem here is where manufacturers stopped glazing the ceramic insulation and the insulator is more porous. 

yes a non fireing engine will give a damp plug with lots of non start cranking   the rich mixture has to go somewhere and it will accumulate

likewise it can take a good few hot driving mies to clean the soot from the plugs after a choked start

its a carburettor over  fueled problem you dont now get with infection systems 

Pete