Are there wheel arch repair sections spitfire Mk1V bonnet?

Unkel Kunkel

I know there are repair sections available for the rear wings but have not seen similar for the front - only complete wing sections for the bonnet.

Have I  just missed them?

Can you point me in the right direction  if there are, please?

My spitfire has  rot in the leading edges, both sides - bad but localised.

It doesn’t really seem to  merit changing the whole wing sections.

If there are no such things as repair sections out there, I may use the technique shown in Martin Thaddeus’s  excellent book ‘How to Repair Classic Car Bodywork’

17AAB72A-F3B2-45C4-B049-D46C59C14340.thumb.jpeg.b08aeaa101c095f1eb142c32883c2326.jpeg

like this:

388EDA9E-8D9A-49BA-991B-A2018F8CED3C.thumb.jpeg.0de574df7f09300ed410c8a4790875a4.jpeg

Edited by Unkel Kunkel

I don’t know the answer I’m afraid. But I’m now a big advocate of making your own repair sections wherever possible! You’ll have to work hard to get any aftermarket partial panel section to fit nicely so may as well make your own for a similar effort cost.

Interestingly the Arch Lip Repair detailed in your attachment is exactly what I’d decided to do with my Herald’s rear arches!

1 hour ago, dannyb said:

I've  never seen repair sections for the front wheel arches. It's dead simple to replace the whole panel. Easier than trying to put a repair in.

Danny

I dug out an old Kipping catalogue from the 1990s and even back then they just supplied an entire wing. Paddocks currently have pattern wings for just under £90, seems a lot less bother than shaping your own section. 

3 hours ago, dannyb said:

I've  never seen repair sections for the front wheel arches. It's dead simple to replace the whole panel. Easier than trying to put a repair in.

Danny

If you are hell bent on welding in a repair section, then you could always cut one from a new wing 😜

• Haha 2

Thanks everyone for your   views and confirming my impression that repair sections aren’t available.It has been very helpful :

option 1.  New wings.

materials= (original type) cost £ 134 x2 , bit cheaper are available.

option 2. Repair wings .

materials=  metal I already have  .. cost zero

For   both:  (a) equipment :similar for both, cost = few litres  gas.                                                  

(b) time   considerable needed,  but willingly provided when available, and probably similar   for both. 

So I am going for option 2 ……. when I get enough (b)

-on the basis that if the results  looks really c****,  I can look again  at option 1.

Edited by Unkel Kunkel

• 3 weeks later...

Revert to plan I. = new wings

- and also outer wheel arches…

I had ignored what all old car enthusiasts know as a fundamental truth :

Rust is always  far worse than it first appears.

Someone in the past had certainly been very industrious and imaginative with lots of odd bits of metal welded in here and there and everywhere  joining the outer wheel arch and wing  in many places. All hidden, under a surprising amount of filler and thick bituminous under-seal and topped-off with something black and waxy  that might be black Waxoyl.

Edited by Unkel Kunkel

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/03/2023 at 07:14, dannyb said:

Danny

Might well be dead simple for you, Danny !

I have begun the bilateral wing and outer arch  panel replacements in my slow plodding manner, not simple for me , let alone dead simple!

2 hours ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

Might well be dead simple for you, Danny !

I have begun the bilateral wing and outer arch  panel replacements in my slow plodding manner, not simple for me , let alone dead simple!

I suppose it's down to the individual but it must be easier than trying to fabricate an arch.

Danny