Fuel Pipe Around the Engine

Jaybeee1

Hi all

I have been having problems with the fuel getting to the carbs in my Vitesse Estate (many thanks to Peter Lewis for help and advise so far). I went to buy some replacement hose from the fuel pump to carbs today and I was told these should be in copper and not rubber as they are on my car does this really matter and what are the pros & cons of each rubber and copper?

If it matters it is Stromberg CD150 carbs and the fuel pump is the screw in type rather then the push on pipe if it has any relevance.

Many thanks

Jason

Hello Jason.

I have a Mk2 Vitesse and the pipe from the fuel pump to the carbs is copper, until about the last 10" which is rubber to deal with the curve towards to carbs.

This section of rubber also gives the opportunity to fit an in-line fuel filter. 

I presume the rationale for copper instead of rubber is that it's more robust and less likely to be damaged / degrade.

Talking of rubber you should, where possible, get R9 rubber hose as this deals with modern petrol ingredients.

Hope that assists ??

Regards.

Richard.   

Sounds like you take your choice, I have a Mk1 2L Vitesse, filter is in rubber pipe in boot. In engine bay copper pipe from screw union on fuel pump to carb side of engine, then rubber to connect to copper pipe which has right angle then t piece to supply both carbs, then short lengths of rubber for final connections. All copper pipe is 1/4 inch all rubber pipe is slightly undersized with clips to give a fuel tight connection.

Regards

Paul

• Like 1

the secret is the less joints the better

plastic or variants of it for the main supply tubes have been replacing metal for years 

metal pipes in the engine bay are less prone to damage but rubber hose wont transmit the heat into the fuel

its take your choice.  late 2ltr had a 8mm 5/6" pipe rather than the weeny 6mm 1/4" used on many

in my   days Rootes cars used a self grip nylon connector to join up  tubes 

there is a real old faithful to cause grieve in when you push the rubber onto the metal you sliver off a small curly section of rubber and this floats upto block the float valve 

can often appear after much pipe twiddling and when testing your nice tidy work splutter to a halt with one carb blocked

Pete 

Forgive me for sticking my nose in here but I'm wondering, given that copper is a really good conductor of heat and potential problems with fuel vaporisation AND modern fuel's volatility, is copper the best material for under bonnet use?