Vibrating Accelerator Pedal - Mk1 GT6 (Lever Type Not Cable)

AidanT

Hi All

For ages now my GT6 has suffered from the accelerator pedal vibrating on deceleration (Foot not On Pedal), whether braking or not. I have changed the bushes and Spring but to no avail Note this is the lever type and not a cable assembly

Anyone come across this before and found a solution? 

Thanks

Aidan

I suspect it is teh throttle discs opening and closing a tad (this was "solved" on late SU's by using a poppet valve, a whole other problem!)

And of course, the lever for the accelerator is rather long making it sensitive.

I have changed any levr/rod accelerator to cable operation to gain super smoothness and generally rather nicer to use.

I doubt there is anything wrong with yours at all.

yes im sure rod throttles had a spring from the arm to the pedal box certainly there was one on my Vit6 rod set up

just looked at gt6 and they dont show the same but adding one cant be hard to come up with a set up

too light is often a  vibro problem under the foot

Pete

This is vertical vibration?  Not side to side?

And this might be harmonic vibration.  A small impulse from the closed throttles matches the period of vibration of the pedal.    If you change the latter, the it might go away.

A spring would help, but better a weight added to the pedal.   Can be done temporarily as a test, say a large bolt or two clamping a strip of metal to the lever behind the pedal itself.

As far from the pivot as possible.

John

Definitely Vertical, could well be down to harmonics, Its quite intermittent as well. I am not sure what impact weighting the pedal would have, the throttle return spring does not put a massive load on the assembly, its quite well balanced, but I will have a go anyway and see what results I get

Thx

Adian

A weight would change the base harmonic of the lever system - like a pendulum.

That has a great big weight at the bottom, and often small weights on the rod, that can be  moved up or down to regulate the clock, because that small change will move the centre of gravity, and so the period of the pendulum.

So you would not need a very large weight.  Just a big bolt or two, as I suggested.

Same applies to valve springs, but you can't add weight there. so double springs are used.

This could work for you to, but the second spring should be much stiffer or shorter than the first.    Then, the first harmonic is the multiple of the two springs base frequency.

Just adding a similar spring will only make it harder work for your foot.

John

Thanks John

I will try the various springs that I have around the place. and see what happens. I don't want to make the pedal to hard though so will not be using anything like a brake or clutch Return spring (PN:14438) they I would assume would be too hard - Going on Pete's comment Something like the Vit6 set up - unfortunately they are no longer available.

Any ideas on a suitable spring would be appriciated

Aidan

Halfords do a boxed selection set  (Mmmmmmmmmm! Scrummy!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/191522732742?adgroupid=13585920426&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=aud-133395220626%3Apla-131843260866&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&googleloc=1006854&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=207297426&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

But link the new one in parallel, not series.

Old spring stiffness = k1

New spring stiffness = k2

EG 2+4=6

In series New stiffness = k1 + k2

In parallel new stiffness is found by 1/newk = 1/k1 + 1/k2.

EG 1/2 + 1/4= 1/0.75  newk=1.3

LESS total  stiffness, but a much higher harmonic.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I will be adding further to this as I am about to fit an additional internal return spring this weekend. I currently have a standard set up as per the diagram on the right below. My plan is to add a spring between the item No:4 plate and the pedal shaft. I think if I get the hole in the shaft in the right position the spring will be under tension even when the pedal is not being depressed I am going to adapt another return spring from the Vitesse 122392

Aidan

gt6early_plate_at.jpg

Update

I managed to dismantle the current set up at the weekend, and found that there was a lot of movement between parts 14 and 1. It was only a small movement on the split pin but that equated to over an inch of free movement on the pedal. So I have added an additional split pin futher up @ 90 degrees to the original. I will now see if this resolved the issue.

I can now see the original engineering concept of the assembly. The pedal shaft is held under tension supposedly by the double coil lock washer no:8 above, unfortunately the fulcrum bracket (no 4) is rather soft metal and so bends inward releasing the tension. I think I may have to fabricate a replacement for this at some point.

The alternative is to heat treat it but i can't remember if that makes it harder or Softer!

Anyway the additional spring awaits its use if the rattle persists!

Aidan

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bring this alive again but the vibration has returned and for the same reason as stated above The additional split pin now does not hold the two parts solidly together

Would it be better to take both pins out and replace them with spring tension pins of a suitable size? I am not sure if the original part a"dowel" would just have been a solid pin

Would this be a long term solution? And if not what else could I do to hold parts 1 and 14 solidly together? They do need to come apart still so no welding

Thanks

Aidan