Spitfire Mk4 cooling

John L

Hi , being a new purchase my Mk4 Spitfire seems to run quite hot so (and not being particularly technical) I am looking at Rimmers catalogue and I see a larger (22in) radiator conversion and also I see electric fan kits (such as Revotec or Kenlowe). 

So any tips appreciated in terms of members addressing this cooling issue with their Triumph, Spitfire or otherwise.

E.g. which one or both would folk suggest I use or try first ? 

Many thanks

Big subject this one! First the gauge is just an crude indicator not a calibrated instrument and second your temperature indication will go up and down not like a modern car which has the instrument electronically stabilised. Really the temperature indication you have doesnt matter as long as the engine is running happily and obviously it doesnt boil over so I would stay with your current set up for a while to see if you really do have a problem. I know watching the gauge can be a bit stressful so you can improve things by initially flushing the cooling system with a cleaner which is never a bad idea. After all there are people on here with the same car successfully running with the standard radiator and fan.... 

I'll confirm johnys comments, mine can be into the red in certain situations eg hot day, traffic at a standstill but it soon returns to normal when breezing along.

Don't worry (yet) get some driving done and look out for steam !

I run a spitfire mk1V with small radiator. Only time it has got really hot was in traffic in France,air temperature about 35 degrees. It didn't boil just got nearly into the red. 

I would just make sure the system is clean and all should be well👍

The modern wide rads are not canted on the top to fit under the bonnet properly. So they require a bit of a fiddle to fit. As others have said here I’d not start replacing or adding things yet, but if you find the rad really does need improving my first choice would be to have a more modern core put in it rather than go straight to a wider one.

first thing to do is give the system a good flush through with a garden hose and then maybe some cleaner. The system as fitted is fine if working correctly. I also found that when I fitted a new temp sender the gauge fluctuated a lot, replaced it with an old stock one and now stays still. The coolant should be replaced every 2 years if it hasn't ben the system corrodes and gets blocked. Basically get the system working properly and then you shouldn't need any upgrades

Saying all that John, this is a hobby and theres not many on here who havent done something to their car that wasnt really necessary! Its very satisfying spending some of that hard earned on a shiney new bit that might have some benefit😁