Non-fitting Crankshaft front oil seal

jagnut66

Hi, 

As the title states I've run into a little hiccup. 

I ordered one for my (ex - Spitfire) 1300 engine along with other bits, they duly arrived and I've been picking from the pile as needed. However, when it came to the Crankshaft front oil seal I found it was too large for the hole.

It looks the same as the one I "persuaded", after God knows how long in residence (it was like it was welded in place), out....

But it sits on the hole and the diameter appears to be 1 or 2mm too big to be driven into it. 

I clearly remember requesting the correct one from a certain well known supplier, however, I'm left wondering whether I should have been clearer......

I shall ring them tomorrow and discuss it.

In the meantime I wondered whether anyone else has had this issue and whether I need to be ordering a specific item, to ensure I get the correct size??

Best wishes,

Mike.

Non-fitting Crankshaft front oil seal 1.JPG

Non-fitting Crankshaft front oil seal 2.JPG

Packaging shows 100499, so now I'm really confused, unless someone put the wrong part in the bag?

It's definitely too big for the hole.....

If they send another and it's the same I suppose I could try putting it in boiling water and see if that makes it malleable enough to squeeze in.....

Best wishes,

Mike.

1 minute ago, DanMi said:

the first pic looks like there is still part of the old one left behind

Are you saying that inner metal lip shouldn't be there? It's very firmly in place, I had to use heat to 'extract' what I did.......

Best wishes,

Mike.

well spotted! Im sure the cover is just one stamped sheet of steel do there shouldnt be anything else in the seal well. Cant understand why its in so tight though and now its going to be difficult to get out without damaging the cover. All I can suggest is to drill a small partial hole(s) in the front of the cover lip and tap through with a small pin punch. The holes wont matter after as theyll be covered by the new seal...

19 minutes ago, jagnut66 said:

Are you saying that inner metal lip shouldn't be there? It's very firmly in place, I had to use heat to 'extract' what I did.......

Best wishes,

Mike.

yes it should be a smooth hole that is why it is fitting perfectly for the first mill or 2 then getting stuck

I suppose you could cut through both the old seal and the front of the cover with a hacksaw blade through the hole as long as you dont damage the seal 'well' wall which must maintained intack to prevent oil leakage....

A close up makes what you are saying even clearer...

I had to use heat, as it was rock solid. I thought this metal was an inner lip. I wonder when it was last changed?.....

Well now I know it needs to come out I shall have to set to it, 

Best wishes,

Mike.

Non-fitting Crankshaft front oil seal 3.JPG

Could try tapping the lip diagonally in towards the centre of the hole with a small, sharp cold chisel or centre punch. Once you have an inward facing lip, you can carefully chisel a cut downwards. Repeat this action about 20mm around the seal and you should be left with enough inward facing material to grasp with mole grips.

Thanks for the clarification on this folks. I will know for next time.

It is now out, due to the application of a screwdriver (metal topped  / designed to be hammered) and the mechanics friend, the trusty hammer.

The new one is now in place with the aid of a smear of red rubber grease to smooth the way. 

Many thanks,

Mike.

• Like 1