Herald 1200 '70 Chassis Front Outriggers

Hi Team Chums!

I've been very silly (chance for everyone to hoot with derisory laughter!) - again.

This query follows my previous query about replacing outriggers in a non-body-off process, the help for which I am grateful.

I bought a set of cabin tub outriggers, (the six front outriggers working from the front, backwards) the current ones fitted I know will need attention soon.

Some arrived with me in bare steel and some were painted black, with only a pathetically thin coat, far too easily removed with acetone.

So I took it upon myself to clean 'em all down, apply two coats of Hammerite Red Oxide primer and then slathered externally (and internally poured through where applicable) with Black Hammerite gloss, a further two coats at least. 

At all times, I kept the part number and description of placement on, or next to the relevant pieces (side rails obviously not an issue). This I want to have for the time I take it to the chap I want to do the work.

Then on the last coat, I forgot to keep the labels with their respective pieces and was thereafter not sure which was which!

I think I have a reasonable idea, looking at YouTube vids/Rimmer's Chassis diagram and Renovation books, but would like your collective confirmation so I can again attach the label to the correct piece prior to work negotiations.

((If anyone can tell me what I might expect this replacement to cost, I'd be grateful - all outriggers & both side rails, but NOT under-boot rear outriggers)).

Please see the photos of the query pieces. I note when I line their inner ends up to a 'straight line', their angle outwardly changes - and that, in situ on the car, these front riggers seem to angle backwards - a bit like jet fighter wing configurations.

Thanks in advance!

Best, Colin W

20230513_124736.jpg

20230513_124740.jpg

20230513_124810.jpg

20230513_124818.jpg

First the chassis is flat where the body sits so the when the outrigger is fitted to the central rails its top is flat and its under side angled - that should sort out which fit on left and right hand sides. Then the 'opening' on the ends of the outriggers have to face inwards ie front one open at back and rear open at front so the side rails can be fitted. Hope this helps...

Hi Johny,

Thanks. Can you relate that description to the photos I posted, please? I shouldn't be so lazy and should jack her up to look to show me what is, but . . . !! You see the narrow end cut-out with cross-tube (yes, I bought the complete fixing kit, too!) - can that give me a steer?? As I was too thick to understand even as I stand over them and look at them!! 

Thanks a lot😁

C.

Reckon photos 1/2 are rear outriggers and 3/4 front ones. Specifically in order from top to bottom: RHR, LHR and LHF, RHF. As confirmation I think when measured on the edges that dont connect to the side rails the rears should be slightly longer than the fronts as the chassis main rails spacing is wider at the front....

That's a great picture, Colin - exceedingly helpful, thanks!

I noted the diagrams etc show that they will be angled rearwards - I shall now be able to figure it out with them separate from anything else on the ground 🙂

Not that it's important, but I note yours have a slight dog-leg on the trailing edge. Mine (from Rimmers), don't.

What a great space to be able to work in!!

Gonna miss your magazine articles, btw!

PS - going back to my heater box . . . do you have any pics of the heater units separated from the inside cabin elements - and, posed against each other? Wanted to see the thing physically removed from the car, how the insulating collar works (on? . . . ) etc. Exploded manual diagrams are useful, but . . . 

Continuing cheers!

Best, Colin.

SORRY, SORRY, SORRY.

I can't even read my own labels.

These are the REAR outriggers.

MY mistake - SORRY! 

So, as these are more perpendicular to the chassis, maybe it's more tricky to 'hand' them? 

But have just looked at the fronts, Colin; there's no captive nut on the top, either side 🤔🤔

Well - I hope so! On inspection, even the front pieces look different to those shown in Colin L's - and, they don't have any captive nut mentioned. At least I kept the labels on those! 

Sorry to confuse. 

Best,

C.

4 hours ago, Colin said:

PS - going back to my heater box . . . do you have any pics of the heater units separated from the inside cabin elements - and, posed against each other? Wanted to see the thing physically removed from the car, how the insulating collar works (on? . . . ) etc. Exploded manual diagrams are useful, but . . . 

Best, Colin.

Heater photos available on demand - I have three or four in bits! The reason I have so many photos is that I can't always explain to the more technically-minded how things fit - no engineering or mechanical background - so they explain where I can't...! 

Next time I'm near the garage I'll upload rear outrigger photos.

Cheers Colin.

I just basically want to see the two halves (??); the engine bay box (4 screws after associated waterworks disconnected), away from its location, and then whatever the insulating collar slips over and the remaining gumph inside the cabin, most of which I'm reasonably familiar with - but would be good to see out of situ..

Cheers muchly!!

Best,

C.

Chaps - here my (now dried) and laid out first 6 outriggers & side rails. Probably photo'd in very bright sun, so apologies for any lack of detail. Have thrown what I believe to be support brackets in the mix - not sure how many there actually are - but last time I was under, at least one had been eaten at! 😃

20230516_124420.jpg

20230516_124434.jpg

20230516_124443.jpg

20230516_124452.jpg

3 hours ago, Steve P said:

Aren`t those "support Brackets" Bulkhead floor mounting brackets?.

Steve

No, they’re definitely the the wrong shape to be the bulkhead ones. I can say that for certain as I’m currently working on that area of my Herald!

If I recall, I looked up under the n/s rear of the car when renewing the fuel lines & looked at what I think I've bought shown in the pics there and those supports were above the rear outriggers - there or thereabouts?!