Hi Im Back , Triumph PI help please

Hi All ,

Due to health problems Ive not been on the forum or been able to work on my car lately but Im back on my feet now and have my PI out again.

I asked a few questions last year and had a reply but I didnt get a chance to do the suggestions to the car and I cannot find the threads on the forum. So apologies if Im repeating myself .

I have a 1972 PI and would like advice with a few small problems,

The rev counter doesn't work, My car is fitted with a Powerspark module in the distributer and the Revcounter is electric . Is there a way that it can be wired to work . I was told by someone at a show before I would need to get my Rev counter in the car reworked to suit this module at a cost of about  £160. Is there anyway around this ? Or do I need to bite the bullet and get this done .

Night Dimming Relay , I would like to bypass this as I dont see the point and would prefer the bulbs brighter , Without blinding people . How can I disconnect the night dimmer is it just remove a feed wire and the lights will still work ?

The Temp gauge shows it is running hot, shows about 3/4 on the gauge when driving and Ive flushed out the radiator ,I Fitted a new water pump due to a leak and replaced the coolant pipe under the Manifold as it was blocked with rust , I also flushed out the engine , Is there a nack to bleeding the cooling system ? Im thinking now it is a compatibility issue with the new Temperature sender unit I fitted and thoughts please. It has a new thermostat fitted to and I fitted a jiggle pin to help with bleeding of the system.

Ive probably posted this in the wrong section , apologies in advance and thanks for any Advice

Andy

European Voyager

Hi Andy,

If you click on your name you'll find your profile which details previous threads, I had a look, you've a load from last year.

I took my night dimmer relay out, just connected the wires in to the wires out. Mine was behind the trim on the rear wheel arch, don't know where yours is!

Yes, temperature sender must match gauge, also do you have a voltage stabiliser? Might be faulty, it's also attached to the fuel gauge so that might be misreading as well.

Flushed my block with the garden hose, in at the water pump thermostat and disconnected the bottom radiator hose.

Where abouts in Scotland? I have Family in Melrose. :)

Good luck!

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

generic temp sender is a GTR108  a failed voltage stabiliser will give you high reading and as Doug says will affect the fuel gauge also. ( theVS must be earthed unless its a electronic one )

base thermostat is 82c  there are no real problems with air locks on refilling if you fill with engine idling.

HI

Went in to check the voltage stabiliser as was suggested here and also thought I would also fix the inop speedometer bulb at the same time and found that the earth to the back of the speedo head was off so hopefully thats the gauge fixed now . I dont want to run it up as there are two sticking fuel Injectors and blowing them our several times hasent helped so Im waiting on two reconditioned ones coming before I fire it up again.

EV

• Like 1

Your rev counter is one of these right?
Classic%20&%20Sports%20Car%20%E2%80%93%2

If so yes you do need it reworking. Your options are one of the conversion boards in this eBay listing (though personally I wasn’t all that impressed with the one I bought), building your own circuit board for it (I’m very happy to advise if you want to do that, or having someone do it for you. I have parts left to do the conversion for you and would also be happy to convert yours in exchange for a charity donation to the North East Restoration Club.

Hi All

Thanks for everyone's help with my PI

Ive now got it up and running and enjoying driving it.

The Overheating on the gauge was a missing earth on the back of the gauge.

Josef pointed out the problem with my Rev counter and is going to do the repair for me, Very very much appreciated.

I wanted to set it up correctly and found a website , fredmillturnparts.com  , Martin there spoke it over with me on the phone supplied some Injectors I needed and the car is now running the best it ever has. I found him a really good contact.

However  the PI had other Ideas............... I went to start it one afternoon and it wouldnt start , No spark . I called powerspark and they ran through the reading I had taken with a voltage meter . The guy there said the battery was needing charged to full. The engine sounded like it was turning over fast enough and did not sound flat , I put my boost pack on and it started first time !

I took it a run but could smell petrol , I now have a leaking fuel pump in the boot and have ordered a seal kit from chris Witor.

I still need to work out the night dimming relay I would like to do away with but it might be a case of checking voltages and fitting LED stop tail light bulbs .

Once again Thanks