Location of the rear jacking points on a GT6?

Hi All,

It struck me that I'd only ever lifted my Mk3 GT6 using a trolley jack and so I thought I'd practice with the scissor jack to make sure I knew what to do if I ever needed to change a wheel at the road-side. The handbook provides a picture to show where the front jacking point is (the outermost body attachment bolt on the front chassis outriggers) but is a bit vague about where to place the jack at the rear. The Haynes manual is equally useful as it simply say to place the jack, "in front of the rear wheel"

Can anybody tell me where I should locate the scissor jack to lift up the rear of the car? The radius arm attachment brackets look like candidates to me, but I don't want to experiment and end up with a dented tub! 

As ever, all suggestions gratefully received.

Wayne

My handbook states 'place the jack under a body mounting bolt at the corner of the chassis nearest to the wheel being lifted. Make sure the jack lifting pad is square on the chassis'.

So the key is making sure you're on the chassis and not the tub! I tend to use the same points at the rear as I do with the trolley jack, whereas I trolley jack the front under the crossmember as opposed to under the outrigger body bolts with the scissor jack.

Gully

Thanks for your response Gully. I read the same in the handbook and was puzzled by the reference to body mounting bolts w.r.t. the rear wheels because as far as I can see there are no body mounting bolts back there which are accessible to a scissor jack.

Wayne 

I use a trolley jack at the intersection of the side outriggers and main rails; a flat rubber or wooden pad protects the paint and spreads the load. I wouldn't try to jack at the outer end of the outrigger i.e. the mounting bolt point; this is just personal choice but I find the outrigger prone to bend or distort if you use an aftermarket jack - if you have an original then by all means use the factory-recommended point. Remember to use axle stands for any kind of prolonged work or and under-car work. Mine always seems to spend so much time up on jacks these days!

Not an expert on the GT6 but if the Sills have a proper jacking point at the rear this would seem the logical place to me if all you have is a Scissor Jack?

On the Herald/Vitesse I always used the corner of the Side rail and rear outrigger, but no Rear outriggers on the GT6. :(