Gear lever rubber boot coming adrift

Puglet1

On 12/06/2023 at 07:21, Pete Lewis said:

with the aid of a [lywood ring glued to the top of the tunnel i used a MGB !!!   chrome ring and convoluted gaitor when i had my Vit6

Vit6 2009 018.jpg

Hi Pete. Is this a moulded carpet?

Regards 

Pete.

4 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

lots  of  RED    

Vit6 2009 001.jpg

That’s very smart! Unfortunately mine is black. I’m still waiting for Newtons to run a trial for me which involves a moulded carpet with either a tufted or loop pile material. Spoke to them recently, it should take place within the next week or two. I will give an update on the result. MG gaiter and ring has arrived- just looking at various thicknesses of ply wood.

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Why unfortunately? Mine is black with matador red seats, it's a nice contrast. I had red carpets but found them hard to keep clean, hence the change over.

Hi Colin. Yes, must agree Matador red seats do look good- I guess they’re from a MX5?

I think his are from an MGF. I sat in a Vitesse at Silverstone which was fitted with MX5 ones and it totally transformed the clearance and comfort level for me.

I will keep my recently recovered original seats (for originality ) and continue my search for some MX5 ones.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/06/2023 at 22:15, Puglet1 said:

Hi. I recently bought a new rubber gear lever boot for my Mk2 Vitesse. It keeps detaching itself from the original cardboard tunnel. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any ideas on how to overcome it? 
Is there some kind of retaining ring from another model that can be adapted ?

Many thanks. 
Pete

Funnily I've just come across the same problem with my Herald. It feel like the rubber is too big to fit the hole in the cardboard - I wonder if the new plastic/grp tunnels have a slightly bigger hole?

2 hours ago, piran said:

Funnily I've just come across the same problem with my Herald. It feel like the rubber is too big to fit the hole in the cardboard - I wonder if the new plastic/grp tunnels have a slightly bigger hole?

piran, I had the same problem with an original cardboard type tunnel.

I bought a new rubber boot but the problem continued. To overcome the problem I used a modification that Pete Lewis suggested.

Not only did it cure my problem but I think it has enhanced the look of my car.