Gear lever rubber boot coming adrift

Puglet1

Hi. I recently bought a new rubber gear lever boot for my Mk2 Vitesse. It keeps detaching itself from the original cardboard tunnel. Has anyone experienced this problem? Any ideas on how to overcome it? 
Is there some kind of retaining ring from another model that can be adapted ?

Many thanks. 
Pete

1 minute ago, Pete Lewis said:

with the aid of a [lywood ring glued to the top of the tunnel i used a MGB !!!   chrome ring and convoluted gaitor when i had my Vit6

Vit6 2009 018.jpg

I like that conversion. 
Thank you very much 👍

31 minutes ago, 68vitesse said:

Probably the hole in the tunnel cover hole is the problem after all these years, I have a glass fibre cover in my Vitesse Mk1 and it's never been a problem.

Regards

Paul.

Yes same here and then for additional noise reduction I have a cheapy ebay leathercloth gaiter over the top which tucks well under the carpet👍

• Like 1

The retaining ring Doug mentions is not standard on the Herald/Vitesse. The boot is supposed to just clip on to the tunnel via the lip on it… I made myself an equivalent of the retaining ring out of thin aluminium. But the repro boot has disintegrated since so I might also be looking for alternatives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

if you do that i used a plywood ring to make a platform to pull the ring and gaitor with rubber rawlnuts inserted to hold the chrome ring  screws  bit of a faf but the end result looks neater than the orrible rubber one

Pete

Brilliant! Thanks Pete. 
I have ordered the parts. Will look forward to the tinkering session!

2 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Photos as promised.

Regards

Paul.

IMG_2023-06-15-07-15-52-174.jpg

IMG_2023-06-15-07-15-43-980.jpg

Hi Paul. Thank you for the photos. That is really impressive! 
Probably beyond my sewing skills so am going to try Pete L’s MGB method. 
Pete.

On 12/06/2023 at 11:35, dougbgt6 said:

Have you not got one of these? This one's off a GT6, it's metal.

Retaining Ring - Rubber Gaiter - 613607 | Rimmer Bros

image.png.da0b33e14ed641258a93dd62b629537a.png

Doug

I didn't know that they were  available - maybe they weren't when I wanted one.   Anyway, I made my own by cutting it out of a sheet of alloy with aero shears.   As alloy is a bit soft, mine has rather more screw holes, the screws go through the gearbox cover into spire clips behind the GRP, which are then resinned in.

John

3 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Odd, as a standard fitting on GT6, but, at £13.20 + P&P from Rimmers I'd get John to make one!

Doug

The gt6 I guess has the same boot as the Spit though? A bellows type one that screws on the top of the cover?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Odd, as a standard fitting on GT6, but, at £13.20 + P&P from Rimmers I'd get John to make one!

Doug

I'm not for sale!  Although if offered a LOT of money.....

A pair of aeroplane shears is about £25, and then you have them for anything else, but you really need both Left and Right, and a straight pair.      But, the thin alloy that will do the job, if you hold it down with more  screws - I have eight, I think, or maybe six - is cuttable with a pair of cheap safety scissors, EG

Paramedic Trauma Shears 7.5" Red

Cut the outer edge, that's easy, then make a hole in the middle, big enough to get a scissor blade through, and work round and round in a spiral, until the metal circle is the width you want.

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 2