Driving in France

sulzerman

The first point is are you going to or through any of the major cities that do have zones (not all do)? If not nothing to bother you.

If you are going through any areas that do have restrictions Zone de Faible Emmission(ZFE)  then, as far as I am aware, at the moment all zones have accepted that a car registered as 'collection' is exempt except under particular circumstances. The circumstances are the days when pollution is very bad and additional restrictions are applied.

Anyone looking at your 'old' car would accept it as 'collection' whereas I have registration papers to show it is. Here just because a car is over 30 years old doesn't automatically class it as 'collection' it has to comply with a few conditions and be registered as such.

In summary, donen't worry about it, load the car and have fun.

On a practical note, if you use '98' E5 not every station has it these days, most but not all.

This map might help.

I5470.thumb.jpg.42a10b03fa320c579dc0ad37af38637e.jpg

Chris,

May I further call on your expertise, please?     I shall be driving my TRansit to Le Mans at the end of the month, then touring several road racing  sites, Angouleme, Clermont-Ferrand, Dijon and Reims.     Apart from the first, for the Remparts Circuit, I don't intend to drive into town.

Last year for CLM, I got a "Crit'Air" certificate for the van, which gets a "4".  I can see no expiry date on the form - is there one?  Do I have to get it annually?

Thanks,

John

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Last year for CLM, I got a "Crit'Air" certificate for the van, which gets a "4".  I can see no expiry date on the form - is there one?  Do I have to get it annually?

They last the life time of the vehicle (just don't change the reg of the vehicle). Did you get it from the official site, There are others that aren't official. It should have the registration on it where in the example below it is 'ZR-8246-AB'

You say 'certificat' I assume you mean the 'vignette' (sticker) for the windscreen.

crit-air-4-1024x1024.thumb.jpg.a191154d9d9cabc489ad9d528562d645.jpg

Snap!!. This comes up on  Motorhome website.

Once acquired and affixed to the vehicle's windscreen, the sticker is valid for the entire life of the vehicle.28 Feb 2023.

Interestingly?. Would one necessarily need to get a new sticker if a "personal plate" was transfered to another vehicle?. How would the French authorities know?. Connundrum?.

Pete

Edited by PeteH

21 hours ago, Chris A said:

The first point is are you going to or through any of the major cities that do have zones (not all do)? If not nothing to bother you.

If you are going through any areas that do have restrictions Zone de Faible Emmission(ZFE)  then, as far as I am aware, at the moment all zones have accepted that a car registered as 'collection' is exempt except under particular circumstances. The circumstances are the days when pollution is very bad and additional restrictions are applied.

Anyone looking at your 'old' car would accept it as 'collection' whereas I have registration papers to show it is. Here just because a car is over 30 years old doesn't automatically class it as 'collection' it has to comply with a few conditions and be registered as such.

In summary, donen't worry about it, load the car and have fun.

On a practical note, if you use '98' E5 not every station has it these days, most but not all.

This map might help.

I5470.thumb.jpg.42a10b03fa320c579dc0ad37af38637e.jpg

Many thanks for the info,  we have been before and it's great fun. We are heading to Bergerac.

I have been running our spitfire on E10 petrol with no issues so far👍

Edited by sulzerman