Gear selection issues

Bobo63

Hi all, anyone had issues with selecting top gear on 2ltr car? All the others are fine but the lever seems to have too much travel to the right when going for top and comes against stop. If you move it to the left a bit it can be engaged fine. Just a pain really, not stopping the car being used.

Edited by Bobo63

You have a Vitesse I think? The items outlined in blue are part of the bush repair kit. It's quite a common failing in all models, I've done my GT6 twice and it's going again, although that's in 45 years. It's quite cheap (except at Rimmers!) and a good place to start.

image.png.7beef5f5ccb6ba8ce8299147f444ed04.png

Doug

as Doug said get a remote kit  just check the spherical cup these can be cropped sharp and that minces the new plastic parts so a little work with a file helps or use the old 

take time  , the kit has parts you will not use  and you will have to remove the tunnel to remove the remote , you cant upset the gearbox  no iol to drain etc

Pete

yes if you replace both sets of bushes, one in the gear lever and the other in the operating rod a lot of free play will be taken out of the mechanism which will mean much more of the movement you put into the lever will be transferred to the gear changer in the box and vice versa. Then (unless theres additional problems in the gearbox itself😭) the gear changes should be easily achieved before the gear lever reaches the end of its travel...

Thanks for the info. Gearbox works fine (apart from a weak 2nd gear synchro) if you fiddle with the position on going from 3rd to 4th. Not bothered about the 2nd synchro, a little rev and it pops in fine. I can cope, but the other half can’t handle  the awkward  change. Will see who’s best price for the bids. Thanks Rob 

1 hour ago, Bobo63 said:

Thanks for the info. Gearbox works fine (apart from a weak 2nd gear synchro) if you fiddle with the position on going from 3rd to 4th. Not bothered about the 2nd synchro, a little rev and it pops in fine. I can cope, but the other half can’t handle  the awkward  change. Will see who’s best price for the bids. Thanks Rob 

Just had a mess in the garage. The forward and back motion of the lever seems fine. All the gears mesh fine. Car’s been stood in a collection for many years. The spring that returns the lever ‘up’ after coming out of reverse is either partially seized or a weak spring. Part of the kit by the looks of the diagram. Problem is the lever seems to throw too far to the right, so coming out of third, if you keep the lever across to the right as Jayne does, it comes to a stop rather than going in gear. Push the lever to the left a bit and it goes straight into fourth without issue. We’ll get a kit organised and have a look in.

apart from the bushes that do much of the in out moves there are two midway that control the left right rotation of the rod   thats what many miss

also check the bottom pivot bolt . wrong way round will  foul the casting and give a curved selection move 

Pete

48 minutes ago, Bobo63 said:

Problem is the lever seems to throw too far to the right, so coming out of third, if you keep the lever across to the right as Jayne does, it comes to a stop rather than going in gear. Push the lever to the left a bit and it goes straight into fourth without issue. We’ll get a kit organised and have a look in.

As Pete says that sounds like the bottom part of the lever is hitting something because in the gearbox itself its the same component that engages third and forth, it just moves forward for one and back for the other. With this its possible to not be far enough over but not the opposite as youre experiencing...

Bobo

If you do end up fitting a remote kit, I would consider re-using the spherical ball if it is an original nylon one.

The balls in the kits are generally a moulded plastic and can be of questionable quality.

+1 for checking the direction of fitment of the bottom bolt.

Ian