How to check wear in steering and suspension on small chassis Triumphs

Hi. I have 4 workshop manuals (inc the factory one). I can't find any useful info on how check for wear on bushes, ball joints, (inc steering rack ball joints within the rubber boot) etc (as would be checked by an MOT tester).

I know how to check the trunnion bushes and vertical link/trunion thread wear, also the steering column to steering rack joint seems obvious to check.

I just cant find info on where to lever/feel/listen etc on other areas, and if car is resting, or drooping when doing so?.

Any links to detailed information, much appreciated.

Thanks folks

Edited by daverclasper

To amplify Pete's advice, the thing to do is to minimise the load on a joint, for instance by jacking up a wheel, and then push and pull around the joint to see if there is looseness. A crow bar may be useful or just your hands.

For instance, jack up a front.  Wiggle the wheel from top and bottom to see if the stub axle is correctly adjusted, then by the sides to push/pull on the steering linkage.

Ah, you say, but how much wiggle is OK?    That's the trouble with experience, when you haven't got it is when you most need it!

John

Thanks Guys. I was also wondering about the wishbone bushes and the ball joint at the top of the turret. Its not obvious to me how to detect movement?

Do have a bit of a knock/rattle, that I'm trying to track down, that is maybe from the front of car. Not too worried, as I guess if it gets worse, it will be more identifiable.

Edited by daverclasper

You need two people, one to move the steering back and forth and the other to watch for movement at the joints. You will see movement if any of the joints or bushes are worn, just watch each joint or bush and you'll see a pause between the part before moving and the part after.

There are quite a few videos online, just a simple search for 'how to check worn steering bushes' throws up a few tips.

Edited by Colin Lindsay

On 19/07/2023 at 09:29, Colin Lindsay said:

You need two people, one to move the steering back and forth and the other to watch for movement at the joints. You will see movement if any of the joints or bushes are worn, just watch each joint or bush and you'll see a pause between the part before moving and the part after.

Thanks Colin. I assume?, it would show more movement with the car at rest and not in the air?