Motorola radio conversion

Iain T

I have a Motorola 114 that says it converted to mp3 (don't have one) but want to see if there is an easy way to receive dab radio. There are speakers in both footwell so I would rather use them and possibly make a blank to site my afr and oil pressure guages where the speaker is. I think it would improve the interior appearance if I fitted the radio consol but if its too much of a problem then option two is use my phone to connect somehow to the radio/speakers. 

Simple explanations only please! 

IMG_20230801_135643.jpg

IMG_20230801_135633.jpg

I can't picture a way to get to DAB reception other than gutting the internals and replacing entirely. Feasible to have done but £££££££££s.

The label is a bit ambiguous and could mean a number of things. Most likely is that a 3.5mm mini-jack (as used for small headphones) has been added. If so, this will be evident on the back of the unit. And assuming so, that means that, with an appropriate lead, any device which has a headphones output can be plugged in. So, for example, a 'phone could be coupled in and through the 'phone have access to FM radio, internet broadcast but probably not DAB (or DAB+) as few 'phones support this. But many sophisticted 'phones don't now have headphone sockets.

It's not impossible that the unit could have a USB-A port retrofitted on the. Pretty unlikely though unless the unit has been completely rebuilt.

I don't think there's a route directly from 'phone to speakers. The power output from a 'phone may be, say, 100millwatts and driving even small loud speakers requires 10 - 100 times that.

Hope that's a bit of help but I could simplify or complexify more as needed.

Can you keep the radio as a dummy front and use one of the small DAB receivers with bluetooth hidden in behind or in the glovebox? eBay as an example is full of them. All they need is a power source and they'll usually have a small remote control so easily operated, and with bluetooth the phone will connect too.

Can`t find the reference. Might have been an old copy of Practical Classics? But I believe I have seen advertising for "period" radios the have been rebuilt with modern internals? Just how sophisticated I Have no idea.

Pete

5 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Can you keep the radio as a dummy front and use one of the small DAB receivers with bluetooth hidden in behind or in the glovebox?

A possibility, do you then pair my phone with the dab widget? Also what about speakers does the dab have an amp or can you get WiFi integrated amp speakers I could pair with my phone and bypass the period radio? 

Iain 

9 hours ago, PeteH said:

Can`t find the reference. Might have been an old copy of Practical Classics? But I believe I have seen advertising for "period" radios the have been rebuilt with modern internals? Just how sophisticated I Have no idea.

Pete

Update:- Just had a look, it was P-C.   https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/  But NOT cheap.!!.

Pete

I use a mini amplifier intended for a raspberry pie or arduino. This I have housed in a wooden box that fits in the radio cut out, but it’s a tiny circuit board so would definitely sit inside a radio case. Something like this. It requires basic soldering skills, and will give you a 3.5mm Jack socket to plug a phone / iPod / whatever in to. You should be able to hook it up to the original volume pot on the stereo and use another of the switches for on / off.

16 hours ago, Josef said:

I use a mini amplifier intended for a raspberry pie or arduino

Interesting, I don't mind soldering. I'm off (with the wife) on holiday tomorrow so I'll do some more investigating when I return. Bay of Biscay please behave for the next few days🙏

Iain 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1