Protective plastic deflector lens cover for European driving

AidanT

Hi

My Dad had these and I am trying to find out if they are still available. From memory I think his were actually yellow tinted but they fitted over the front lights and converted the light direction for driving in Europe. It seems a much better idea to me than sticking on those patches that cover part of the lens. Surely they reduce the overall light for driving. Anyway, if anyone knows if they are still available that would be great

Thx

Aidan

You may turn a pair up off ebay or similar, but since yellow lights in France disappeared many years ago, I doubt they will be available from normal retailers.

I have been using Gaffa tape for years, many thousands of miles, often at night, in Europe. Doesn't seem to be too much of a problem.

Hi,

I use exactly those headlamp deflectors on the Vitesse.  The photo is of the car on the ferry crossing, Portsmouth to Caen, last September as the start of a trip to The Dordogne.

Originally belonging to my Granddad (they were used on his Dolomite), each had three elastic clips that fit to the chrome headlamp bezel to bring them into contact with the headlamp.  For the Vitesse, this would mean the removal of the headlamp cowl, so I fit them using double-sided-tape (the type with a sort of foam infill) and they seem fine like this for a two-week jaunt.

Let us know how you get on.

Tom

post-600-0-09191000-1453760197_thumb.jpg

Aidan,

When you find the muck that gets trapped between these and the OE lenses you may wish you had used sticky tape.

The yellow headlight thing reveals a strange facet of the French personality. Introduced in WW2 by the Nazis, for French cars only, so that roadblocks knew who was coming and not to shoot, or not, they kept it inforce until 1993! You would think that they would want rid of it ASAP.

John

As JohnD says, black tape on the high / low beam worked for me on taking the Vitesse to France last year.

However I can see the attraction of the old style lenses; provided you are not driving towards a roadblock !!

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks for all the information links and thoughts

I have managed to pick some up from fleabay for under £20 including delivery and I am quite happy with that

Richard, hmm 27/6 new  :( have I over paid???!! Ha Ha   :D     that's £1.37.5p ..........that's inflation for you!!

Mishmosh - I will try your method of attachment as well when summer arrives and we travel for the first time to France in the GT6 for our holiday

Thanks again

Aidan 

Aidan.

We went over to France last year and did about 950 miles in the Vitesse; a joy to drive on their roads and just glorious with a classic car.

All the best for your trip.

Regards.

Richard.

They arrived today and are in surprisingly good condition. Elastic is still good to so they can be fitted as standard. I am also thinking of the Crystal upgrade that's on another thread so they can stay cosy in the garage till spring!

Aidan