Gearbox/od oil level

trigolf

Ok, over the years I have either topped up or refilled the gearbox/od. As my garage floor slopes down, I've always set the car up on stands to be level, using the sill treadplate as a spirit level reference point. Today I was doing a routine oil level check and it occurred to me that even if the car is set level, the gearbox mounting is not close to being level. If I set for 'level' using the gbox top face, there is a marked difference between that and the chassis, which makes quite a difference in oil level when topping up, until oil stops running out.

I've never really thought about this before, but which is correct?🤔

It won't really matter as long as it slopes backwards, and the oil runs back so that there's a chance of it reaching the overdrive. Once the car is level any excess will work out through the front oil seal and out of the bottom of the bellhousing, if it doesn't leak from any of the other seals as well, and will find its' own level.

8 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It won't really matter as long as it slopes backwards, and the oil runs back so that there's a chance of it reaching the overdrive. Once the car is level any excess will work out through the front oil seal and out of the bottom of the bellhousing, if it doesn't leak from any of the other seals as well, and will find its' own level.

Looking at the drawing in the manual (non OD) the fill oil level is still well below the front and rear oil seals and in fact is hardly in contact with any of the mainshaft gears so the lubrication of its bushes and bearings will by splash only. If you do overfill it looks like the first seals to leak will be at the speedo drive...

16 hours ago, johny said:

Looking at the drawing in the manual (non OD) the fill oil level is still well below the front and rear oil seals and in fact is hardly in contact with any of the mainshaft gears so the lubrication of its bushes and bearings will by splash only. If you do overfill it looks like the first seals to leak will be at the speedo drive...

Entirely possible, but that should - theoretically - be a tight seal; the front seal is scroll type only and oil will pour out here any time the engine is not rotating the gearbox shaft, especially if parked facing downhill. However I wasn't suggesting to overfill it THAT much ...

just to say the level fillers on the car are designed for levels with car on its wheels and at kerb weight 

any overfilling by messing with the angle of dangle is just going to waste oil and make a leak as is said .

keep it simple ...on its wheels on fairly level ground    if the ground slope is something your are stuck with then leveling the CAR is best done but safely.

any thinking you need to level the component is a bit £$$%^&*(#

Pete

• Like 1