Just started engine after rebuild.

SpitfireGeorge

Hi Guys, 

Started engine yesterday without any water and ran it for 30 seconds. A bit rough but needs tuning probably.

Put water in today to test it properly, rough as yesterday but on checking the oil found water in it! Very disappointing. Presumably HG but it was a new one that I fitted. 

Where else can water leak in to the oil if it proves not to be the HG? 

I completely rebuilt the engine last winter ready to use this year after finishing total car rebuild this summer, 5 years. Looks like it might be next spring now.

Cheers,

Brett

so just whats on the dipstick globules of water  or emulsion /grey oil 

dont discount condensation if the engine has been dormant for a good while 

i asked about the HG tab as there are two types  one for flat block and one for later recessed around the bores  

use the wrong one and   water everywhere   the recess has a tab at the rear end to identify it 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

Hi Pete,

Cannot see any tab at the rear of the CH. Took off rocker box and that is dry and clean. I will have to check if block is recessed do you know the engine number that started it? I have fitted a mk4 cylinder head for its larger inlet valves should I have used a mk4 HG? Finally which way up should the HG be fitted?

Cheers

Brett

Looks like the change over to recessed was from mk4 engine number FH25001. Correspondingly this is also when the bigger inlet valves were used so you have installed a head for a recessed block on a non-recessed one - dont know what difference that makes though.... 

Doesnt matter which way up the HG is fitted unless its a recessed block type in which case, as Pete says, the tab has to go at the back.

Hi Guys, 

Ran it again for 20 minutes. Oil does not seem to be getting any worse with sludge so hopefully just condensation.

Found a water leak from the water pump housing at the top. Will fit a new gasket to hopefully fix that. Will the gasket need gasket seal or can it be successfully fitted dry?

Cheers,

Brett