Sorting out trunnions

The arguments about grease or oil for trunnions rage on. But Triumph specified EP90 GL4 Oil, so I've always used same. Pumping the oil in should force the grease out eventually. Taking the weight off the wheels helps to force it in. If it was me, I would get the grease out.

Thanks ….the trouble is the grease is a lot more viscous than the oil - so just a push-fit with the end of the oil can is not going to develop enough pressure to remove the grease….

I don’t see any alternative to removal, degreasing on the bench and then replacement…hence my other question…is it worth the hassle?🤷‍♂️🤔

Most of us go for the Swiss Wanner grease gun, It holds the oil and powerful enough to force it without leaking, you can pick 'em up cheap on FleaBay. 

And yes it's worth doing, there is no argument, it's supposed to be oil!

Wanner Grease Gun Vintage Grease Gun Made in Switzerland Perfect Working Order | eBay

Doug

Edited by dougbgt6

1 hour ago, Rockape said:

I don’t see any alternative to removal, degreasing on the bench and then replacement…hence my other question…is it worth the hassle?🤷‍♂️🤔

I decided it was worth the hassle - it's not a long job, particularly if you mark the castellated nut so you keep the bearings end float unchanged. Once the trunnion is unscrewed from the vertical link, a pipe cleaner is ideal for removing the grease from the VL.

Gully