GT6 Spin on conversion positioning and filter type

Martin V

2 hours ago, Martin V said:

Hi Richard, with the Mann W77, I guess you have that nearer 7 O'Clock position - did you have to modify the brake union position? I think the height of 59mm would also work on mine clearing the relief valve cap and coming up short of the brake pipe union but would appreciate any comment from yourself.

Martin, mine is a so-called "engine back" 6-cylinder Spitfire conversion. The engine is not only about 7" further back than a GT6, but also about 1 1/2" lower (so no hump in the bonnet). This means that the brake union isn't a problem for the oil filter, but the chassis is even closer. The W77 juuuuust fits between the oil pressure relief valve and the chassis at (from memory) the 8 o'clock position. Hope this helps.

Richard

• Thanks 1

Just now, rlubikey said:

Martin, mine is a so-called "engine back" 6-cylinder Spitfire conversion. The engine is not only about 7" further back than a GT6, but also about 1 1/2" lower (so no hump in the bonnet). This means that the brake union isn't a problem for the oil filter, but the chassis is even closer. The W77 juuuuust fits between the oil pressure relief valve and the chassis at (from memory) the 8 o'clock position. Hope this helps.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I've done the measuring and am pretty sure there is room beneath between the brake union and pipes so that the Relief valve cap can be taken out of the equation. I'll give it a go when we are out of this latest freeze. W77 on order :-).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

All done. Slackened off the conversion (original oil filter) bolt after dropping the oil. The conversion rotated easily and new shorter filter fitted which fits perfectly at about 7 O’clock.

Engjne starts and runs fine.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johny said:

Oh and does it feel faster with a Maserati filter?

Sadly the roads were yet again awash last weekend but it certainly sounded more like a Maserati!!

Oh, and also in this chat there was the topic of the Drain plug, which I also changed over to a Magnetic plug with copper washer, I put a little tape on the final threads near the head just as a little extra insurance. So far seems OK.

3 hours ago, johny said:

Oh and does it feel faster with a Maserati filter?

W77 also standard fitment on 1990's FIAT Cinquecento and various 1960's~90's Renaults. So your GT6 may feel slower with the new filter. :wacko:

Cheers, Richard