GT6 Fan Shroud

Dave C

I'm considering having a shroud or cowling fabricated to fit on the back of the radiator on my GT6 to partially enclose the mechanical fan blades.

The idea being to make the fan more efficient when the car is stationary, eg in traffic jams.

So questions:

Good idea or not?

Does anyone have one and has it made a difference?

Has anyone had one made and if so how was it done? i.e. did you need to leave the car with the fabricator whilst it was made or just give measurements etc?

Does anyone know of someone who could make one for me?

I've attached a couple of photographs that I've found of the kind of thing I have in mind.

Thanks,

Dave

post-116-0-60687600-1454860222_thumb.jpgpost-116-0-29894100-1454860297_thumb.jpg

You can buy shrouds for the front, to direct more air through the radiator core. One for the fan might be interesting, it would protect the fingers when running but no idea if it would be more efficient or not... you wouldn't want to block any air from the core as you'd cancel out any cooling gains made by channelling more air through the restricted space. If the air is being drawn through the core you want it to escape readily, so any shroud would need to allow a good flow of air once it's cleared the fan.

Thanks Colin. This is an ongoing idea. It began with an embarrassing little overheating incident which occurred just as we were parking up at Triumphfest 2014 ( a very hot weekend, as some may recall).......

Long story short I've since had the radiator re-cored with a modern high density core. I fitted a cowling/ shroud to the front of the radiator at the same time.

So far I've not had any further problems, but I've ummed and ahh'd about whether I should fit an electric fan or stick with the original (I'm not looking to pick the scab off that particular debate).

I've read that one of the reasons the mechanical fan is inefficient at low speed is because it sits such a distance from the radiator and sucks air in from the sides rather than through the core.

Hence me pondering on whether a shroud on the back of the radiator might help.....

I would say a good idea, many modern cars use a shroud in the same way. In fact, I use a golf electric fan that came with its own shroud (on the rad) and it is brilliant, It just makes sense as the fan will not be pulling air from all around, but almost totally through the rad. Downside is that leccy fans can work flat out even at idle, something the mechanical fan won't be doing. But it has to help.

I would consider making a 4 sided box to fit on the rad and back to the fan, then a plate over that with a fan-sized hole in it. Allow plenty of space for engine movement. Template in card, make up in sheet ali and attach to the rad. Nice mornings work?

• Like 1

I thought about this issue too and measured the air speed around the edge of the fan on the engine side of the fan. It showed that the fan was definitely drawing air in from around the edges of the radiator when stationary and so bypassing the radiator. (Cheap annenometer purchased from ebay)

I guess the engine valences help to prevent this for those that have them, but i had some aluminium pieces which made a neat box around the radiator and was successful in preventing this side draw.

post-156-0-66165800-1454876432_thumb.jpegpost-156-0-00491600-1454876448_thumb.jpeg.

Not sure how much it improves heat transfer and in traffic temperature control, but it cant do any harm!

• 1 year later...

John,

Thank you; that's a very kind offer.

After much hopping from foot to foot indecisively I've finally taken the plunge and invested in an electric fan. I just need to get round to fitting it now.

I'll bear your offer in mind though in case I change my mind for whatever reason.

Thanks again...........

John,

Thank you; that's a very kind offer.

After much hopping from foot to foot indecisively I've finally taken the plunge and invested in an electric fan. I just need to get round to fitting it now.

I'll bear your offer in mind though in case I change my mind for whatever reason.

Thanks again...........

You are very welcome Dave. Pleased to help if I can.