Rebuild Costs on a MK2 Vitesse Engine

Gary Flinn

you are quoting £235 for steering rack, that is a new one recon one is £87 of course it could also be perished mounting bushes. Brakes are just service items and I would replace as a matter of course on a car of that vintage where I don't know when they were last replaced. Really apart from the engine it is just standard recommissioning after a few years of not being used

Edited by DanMi
  • Like 1

if the body work is that good i would make  offer and go for it ,having restored a few over the years a lot cheaper to sort  engine running gear ect  if it is that good at least you know your not going to find loads of filler and bodges in years to come

• Like 1

On 17/01/2024 at 09:38, Gary Flinn said:

I asked the owner if he would M.O.T. test the car for me (It's not been done since 2018) he refused stating if it failed (I'm sure it would on the brakes) it would be on the car's history and he would have to rectify faults before selling it?

That made my decision on the spot. He's a dreamer and a corner cutter. Is he happy selling it in a potentially dangerous condition, just to take the cash and run, or horror of horrors repairs might cost him money if it was MOT'd and faults were found? Walk away.

• Like 1

On 18/01/2024 at 14:38, Colin Lindsay said:

That made my decision on the spot. He's a dreamer and a corner cutter. Is he happy selling it in a potentially dangerous condition, just to take the cash and run, or horror of horrors repairs might cost him money if it was MOT'd and faults were found? Walk away.

Colin

It does put me off a potential purchase of the car I must admit, I certainly won't drive any classic I own without a valid M.O.T.?

The last decent Vitesse I viewed YPE 595G hadn't been M.O.T. tested since 2015 either, although the then owner had had the car checked over by a professional Mechanic recently which was reassuring.  

I often check the M.O.T. History on potential Vitesse purchases and 9 times out of 10 the car's not been M.O.T. tested since 2018 when the law was brought in about classic's not needing the test.

I've more or less made my mind up to make the guy an offer on the car, me and my good friend John both gave it a thorough inspection, although no doubt there will be some other issues and potential additional costs we've missed.

I've had a quote for a new hood including fitting and have worked out a rough cost for parts and machining to rebuild the engine, although if the block is scrap due to the thrust washer issues I will have to get a second-hand block for reconditioning which is a worry and something I won't know till it's stripped and inspected.

The other potential M.O.T. failure points, Steering Rack play, Iffy brakes and minor welding and the cost to put them right have also been factored in to my offer

So, I will contact him tomorrow and make an offer for the car on what I feel it is worth in it's present condition.

Gary    

Edited by Gary Flinn

1 hour ago, Gary Flinn said:

So, I will contact him tomorrow and make an offer for the car on what I feel it is worth in it's present condition.

Gary    

Well, you'll get support and help on here; I do admit it's hard to know about the condition of the car from the wrong side of a computer screen but here's hoping. I really hope you're pleasantly surprised. Here's to many years of enjoyment.

• Like 1

I’m kinda pleased for you, that you walked away.
From what I understand from your search criteria, I didn’t think that car was really for you.

As they say I’m sure there is one out there for you, you just need to be patient.

Good luck.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Straightsix said:

I’m kinda pleased for you, that you walked away.
From what I understand from your search criteria, I didn’t think that car was really for you.

As they say I’m sure there is one out there for you, you just need to be patient.

Good luck.

The car is excellent bodywork, paintwork and interior wise, but let down by the Engine and general mechanical condition.

It's such a shame it's been neglected mechanically as there can't be many with 47K genuine miles and only 4 previous owners left

I'm still fighting with my conscious about making an improved offer🤔  

The 47k miles don't mean anything, other than on the speedo, if the engine needs rebuilt. Low mileage cars are nice to have but it means they've done a lot of short journeys, maybe before the engine warms up, or haven't been used much so things have been neglected. It can often be the age of components, such as tyres and brake pipes, that matter rather than the use they've had.

HOWEVER: what price do you put on a car that you're going to enjoy and cherish? Most of us have spent above and beyond market value on our cars. If you like it and reckon the rest of it is ok, but are prepared to spend money, then go for it. I'm going pockets-deep into a BMW Z3 at present, a totally impractical car, boot not even big enough for a microwave (long story but needed a second one at Christmas and it wouldn't fit!!) and I'm replacing tyres, brakes and shocks as it's 25 years old, low mileage but they're all original and probably worn out. I even messaged the seller and asked him to talk me out of buying it, but by that stage it was too late. Good fun on a sunny day, though, and the money doesn't matter then.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The 47k miles don't mean anything, other than on the speedo, if the engine needs rebuilt. Low mileage cars are nice to have but it means they've done a lot of short journeys, maybe before the engine warms up, or haven't been used much so things have been neglected. It can often be the age of components, such as tyres and brake pipes, that matter rather than the use they've had.

HOWEVER: what price do you put on a car that you're going to enjoy and cherish? Most of us have spent above and beyond market value on our cars. If you like it and reckon the rest of it is ok, but are prepared to spend money, then go for it. I'm going pockets-deep into a BMW Z3 at present, a totally impractical car, boot not even big enough for a microwave (long story but needed a second one at Christmas and it wouldn't fit!!) and I'm replacing tyres, brakes and shocks as it's 25 years old, low mileage but they're all original and probably worn out. I even messaged the seller and asked him to talk me out of buying it, but by that stage it was too late. Good fun on a sunny day, though, and the money doesn't matter then.

Colin

I do like the history on the car with one Original buyer, then it became a family owned car for 40+ years (Wife then Husband) within the same village as the current owner, he's got the original bill of sale together with all the M.O.T.'s back to 1976 to prove the mileage which appeals to me (although it's not done the engine any favours!) 

The bodywork and panel fit are both excellent, which again appeals. 

I have a budget in mind on what I think an A1+ Vitesse is worth these days and at the moment the guys asking near on what I think an A1+ Car is worth even though mechanically it has numerous faults, the worst being the engine and I believe it needs £3K to £4K minimum spending on it mechanically and no doubt I will find more when I start digging.

I've been looking for a decent one now since last July and although unrestored original cars do seem to turn up occasionally (I saw a nice Cherry Red Mk1 2 Litre sell on E-Bay last September for £8k) they are getting rarer.

If I didn't have so much on at home with D.I.Y. Projects I may be a bit keener, but I just know when I start working on it I'll end up getting carried away and will want it to be fault free and reliable.

I need to have a further think about it, I don't believe he's going to advertise the car for sale properly till spring anyway, so it may well appear on E-Bay or the Car and Classic site then.

Another option is to get one that's been fully restored to a good original standard, this may cost more initially but work out cheaper in the long run?

PS - I was considering getting a Z3 Last year but have set my heart on another Vitesse now.

Gary