Vitesse Diff removal

I am about to fit a 3.6 diff into my Vitesse.

The rear spring and suspension is already removed so I guess it’s just a case of undoing the Propshaft and the mounting bolts.

I have the car on stands and a 3.5 ton jack.

Is there a safe way of lowering the diff on my own or do I need an assistant?

Hmmm its a bit of a lump and has to drop at the front, slide forward a bit before lowering down. The safest is to strap it to a trolley jack or similar and one person manoeuvres while the other controls the jack....

15 minutes ago, johny said:

Hmmm its a bit of a lump and has to drop at the front, slide forward a bit before lowering down. The safest is to strap it to a trolley jack or similar and one person manoeuvres while the other controls the jack....

Hi johny.

I didn’t realise that it had to slide forward a bit- so that is really helpful to know.

Based on what you have said, I’ll get someone to help control the jack.

I’ll need to work out how to strap it to the jack or make some kind of cradle.

I’m pretty sure that I have seen a photo of a homemade cradle on this forum but am struggling to find it.

Many thanks.

Pete.

11 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

homemade cradle on this forum but am struggling to find it.

they are on the net  i got one and never used it so its avilable for a beer or two  pretty heavy 

and you need good height with jack ,cradle and diff all mounted 

Pete

Put a trolley jack under it facing fore and aft; get the bowl of the jack under the largest curve of the body to support it. Once the bolts are removed the diff can be lowered gently but also wheeled slightly forward to clear the rear chassis brackets, but it will need to be steadied so watch your fingers. If it drops straight down it will take all the paint off the rear of the chassis. You can put an old pillow or rolled up quilt on the floor below in case it drops, so it will land on something soft. Removal is forward and down, replacement is up and back. Some people will cut small strips of rubber, old inner tube or the like, to protect the chassis by slotting them into the gaps where the diff rear legs sit, so that if they drop onto the chassis they won't damage it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Put a trolley jack under it facing fore and aft; get the bowl of the jack under the largest curve of the body to support it. Once the bolts are removed the diff can be lowered gently but also wheeled slightly forward to clear the rear chassis brackets, but it will need to be steadied so watch your fingers. If it drops straight down it will take all the paint off the rear of the chassis. You can put an old pillow or rolled up quilt on the floor below in case it drops, so it will land on something soft. Removal is forward and down, replacement is up and back. Some people will cut small strips of rubber, old inner tube or the like, to protect the chassis by slotting them into the gaps where the diff rear legs sit, so that if they drop onto the chassis they won't damage it. 

Colin's method is exactly what I did when swapping the diff on my GT6.

Nigel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

they are on the net  i got one and never used it so its avilable for a beer or two  pretty heavy 

and you need good height with jack ,cradle and diff all mounted 

Pete

Hi Pete.

Thank you for the offer but I am 2.5 hrs away from Luton (I don’t suppose you are going to the Stoneleigh show by any chance )?

If not I’ll review Colins method and maybe attempt using some flat plate to make up an adapter of some sort.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Hi Colin.

Thank you for the tips, I’ll be able to assess which method to use tomorrow.👍