Clutch master cylinder size Mk2 Vitesse

Puglet1

I went to Stoneleigh yesterday, was looking on a stall that sold clutch master cylinders.

The chap on the stall told me that my clutch master cylinder should be smaller than my brake one and should also be at an angle.

The one on my car looks very similar to the brake one - same diameter filling cap and is more or less 90deg when looking at the reservoir and the seal assembly cylinder.

It works fine ,so I’m a bit confused.

Any ideas?

Heres the standard set up although of course it should be in better condition. The brake has a large reservoir for obvious reasons and the clutch's being smaller is angled so it can hold the maximum amount of fluid. On the Vitesse the two have the same bore size so it seems like a PO has changed your original clutch one for a brake unit maybe to give more fluid capacity. Nothing wrong in this but check the bore sizes are both 5/8" which should be cast on the sides somewhere...

image.png.d85f114eb5735b2ec305d06fef06d513.png

• Like 1

there were various brake master cylinders used over the production run of the small chassis cars. The clutch was always 5/8 diameter as was the brake in most cases (late GT6 was 3/4 I think) Some brakes had an angled reservoir, some didn't, early spits were tall others fat. However so long as the bore is correct and the reservoir big enough it doesn't technically matter

• Like 1

johny and DanMi.

I have checked the bore size and can confirm it’s 5/8 which has put my mind at ease.

I guess the PO fitted a brake master cylinder for some unknown reason .

Anyway, Thank you both for your help 👍.

it is also very common that a series land rover unit is often fitted thes can be of varying bores and not angled  but 

being LR are very cheap

the internals of the B and C cyls are all similar  both will work ok 

the reservoir capacity of the clutch is generally smaller as said but it really doesnt matter 

you dont want a small res on the brake 

in general  terms .... most are 5/8 on type 12 /14 calipers and needs more volume on type 16s  so it increased to 11/16 "  many have retro fitted 3/4"

hence theres a lot of mix and match  

a 5/8 cyl  reduces pedal effort a 11/16   - 3/4  will raise the pedal effort 

pete

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Puglet1 said:

I went to Stoneleigh yesterday, was looking on a stall that sold clutch master cylinders.

The chap on the stall told me that my clutch master cylinder should be smaller than my brake one and should also be at an angle.

When he means 'at an angle' I wonder does he mean a steeper angle to the main bore, rather than just at right angles? As has already been posted here you can get repro versions, where the reservoir is at right angles but they can 'slop' fluid over during braking; the ones with the top parallel to the ground always seemed better to me. As long as they're the correct bore for the vehicle you'll be fine.

DSCF9169.jpeg.debf40bcba42c9859608d290aef121ed.jpeg

• Like 1