Diff replacement Mk 2 Vitesse

I am fitting a reconditioned diff which came complete with a mounting bracket.

With the diff bolted up, there is approximately 1.mm interference between the rear edge of the front mounting bracket and the chassis.

I am thinking of fitting 3mm washers between the bracket and the diff housing as shown.

Will this be ok?

Any other suggestions?IMG_0050.jpeg.1b0f669fab0a0686394f529a65c13ace.jpeg

Hmmm...

I had a diff that wouldnt fit over the front mounting stud on one side. After cussing and puffing, took it and realised the courier had drop tested it and bent the front mounting plate quite a way from perfectly straight.

Just another thought are you chassis studs perfectly straight? Then can get mullered from PO's

• Like 1

Yes mine is slightly out although I dont think the plate is bent and I always assumed the threaded mounting stud had been welded a bit off. It still bolts up and theres no contact with the chassis as in this case.

As far as your idea goes Puglet have a look at the manual diagram here. The plate actually fits onto the boss of the casting front face so supporting it and I would be wary about moving the plate away from that...

image.png.cc83d4a3c1e5182b4b3fcc1f66a6eece.png

Hi Pete

Can you compare and measure the new Diff and Mounting plate with your old to see if the front plate is indeed bent slightly on one side? 

Then maybe a bit of gentle persuasion with a Birmingham screwdriver and a wooden block maybe required😁

Gary 

I think it would certainly need quite a whack as the front plate is reinforced by the 90º lip it has top and bottom plus the braces each side so might not bend in the place you want😲 

Isnt there more than one design of plate so is this one different to the original?

As a last resort perhaps some metal could be ground off the contact point...

there is not a lot of clearance between the carier bolts and the coupling

i had one unscrew and it locked the propshaft 

the bolts are  4 off  special wedgelok with a  tapered shank as the carrier holes are bigger than the 3/8 bolt thread  and must use a internal star washer

as they are 'thin' 

Bolt - 132856 | Rimmer BrosBolt 

Shakeproof Washer Internal 7/16" - GHF324 | Rimmer Bros

if a std 3/8 bolt has been used you can run into a very noisy trouble 

when it unscrews and the diff wont be correctly mounted with a skinny bolt in a big hole  !!!!

Pete

Had same issues fitting a diff to my Vitesse. I believe it's caused buy the mounting bracket being bent. Heavy lump, often carried by one of the ears and then dumped down on the other end. Put a straight edge accross the drive flange to confirm. 

I posted this on Sideways at the time.

https://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/8997-play-in-vitesse-diff/&do=findComment&comment=122881

8 hours ago, trigolf said:

Hmmm...

I had a diff that wouldnt fit over the front mounting stud on one side. After cussing and puffing, took it and realised the courier had drop tested it and bent the front mounting plate quite a way from perfectly straight.

Just another thought are you chassis studs perfectly straight? Then can get mullered from PO's

Hi trigolf.

I will check the pin alignment next Tuesday and update this post👍

8 hours ago, johny said:

Yes mine is slightly out although I dont think the plate is bent and I always assumed the threaded mounting stud had been welded a bit off. It still bolts up and theres no contact with the chassis as in this case.

As far as your idea goes Puglet have a look at the manual diagram here. The plate actually fits onto the boss of the casting front face so supporting it and I would be wary about moving the plate away from that...

image.png.cc83d4a3c1e5182b4b3fcc1f66a6eece.png

Hi johny.

Thank you for your help. That puts my proposed repair to bed. As your next post suggests……. Maybe some light fetelling with the grinder might come into action.

8 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

Hi Pete

Can you compare and measure the new Diff and Mounting plate with your old to see if the front plate is indeed bent slightly on one side? 

Then maybe a bit of gentle persuasion with a Birmingham screwdriver and a wooden block maybe required😁

Gary 

Hi Gary, the diff is currently fitted to the car so unable to do a direct comparison at the moment.

I shall remove it again next Tuesday and have a good look 👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

there is not a lot of clearance between the carier bolts and the coupling

i had one unscrew and it locked the propshaft 

the bolts are  4 off  special wedgelok with a  tapered shank as the carrier holes are bigger than the 3/8 bolt thread  and must use a internal star washer

as they are 'thin' 

Bolt - 132856 | Rimmer BrosBolt 

Shakeproof Washer Internal 7/16" - GHF324 | Rimmer Bros

if a std 3/8 bolt has been used you can run into a very noisy trouble 

when it unscrews and the diff wont be correctly mounted with a skinny bolt in a big hole  !!!!

Pete

Thank you for that Pete.

It has stopped me from running a potentially dangerous course!

9 hours ago, Mark B said:

Had same issues fitting a diff to my Vitesse. I believe it's caused buy the mounting bracket being bent. Heavy lump, often carried by one of the ears and then dumped down on the other end. Put a straight edge accross the drive flange to confirm. 

I posted this on Sideways at the time.

https://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/8997-play-in-vitesse-diff/&do=findComment&comment=122881

Mark B.

Your post on sideways has been really helpful…especially the photos 👍