Spitfire 1500 won't start

RJWW

I have a 1500 spitfire that has been off the road for a while with a brake issue.  Having solved this by reconditioning the master cylinder ( and taking the time to repaint the bulkhead), I thought the car would just start, as it always has done in the past even after a long lay up.

• It has fresh petrol, which is reaching the engine
  • Plugs all cleaned and gaps checked, - spark is definitely reaching them
  • Engine turned over
  • Fired once (unfortunately while we had one plug out to check the spark)

It has not started ever since.  Based on the above, we do not think it is a fuel problem, but am confused - does anyone please have any ideas

Thanks

RJ,

Get a can of Easy Start and squirt some in the carbs. If spark, timing and compression are OK it should fire and these are not the cause. I suspect choke from what you've said.

image.png.01fe16c863aba4a62b6fc4e4824af184.png

Other manufacturer's products are available, in Australia it's called "Start Ya Bastard!"

Doug

as its so easy to have the firing order wrong when messing about i would get No1 on tdc comression stroke check where the rotor is pointing , use that as No1 ....324anti clockwise for the ht leads 

as you had the odd pop and bang    thats where i would recheck 

and with so many duff condensers try with is disconnected it should idle ok with it missing

but  it wont drive .

Pete

Thanks All

We have a result, the car is going under its own power!!  It took several attempts with  Easy Start along with a clean and drying of the plugs each time, but we have heading in the right direction.  35 yrs of ownership and it will be on the road again this summer.

Great. Sounds like it needs a complete tune up to get it starting better but its good to go through the complete list of settings so you know where you are and any problem you then might get is unrelated to those👍