Air filter question

micmak

16 hours ago, micmak said:

Holy smokes Guys, My little question about missing inlet hoses/tubes has taken on a whole new life of it’s own! 

That's call thread drift. Triumph forums are well known for it. Fun eh?!

Uncle

I like your design and it a further refinement of where Triumph managed to get to in the mid 1970s. I don't have enough space to take the feed pipes across the face of the box as I have 175CD carbs, hence the bulbous affair on the front of my mock-up.

John

Aluminium honeycomb is the most efficient way of producing sandwich construction and is probably best suited to reasonably flat panels. It can suffer from delamination if in high performance yachts where they experience severe slamming. The marine industry typically use end grain balsa in deck mouldings and foam in sandwich construction hulls.

Ian

Edited by Ian Foster

13 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Makes my method of making a concrete former, cast in the air box, when I made my Stainless Steel air box seem very old fashioned.

That's how my friend made the steel flared arches for his Sebring MGB V8. Fibre glass reverse off his wrecked Sebring then concrete male hammerform.

Iain

Edited by Iain T

2 hours ago, Ian Foster said:

John

Aluminium honeycomb is the most efficient way of producing sandwich construction and is probably best suited to reasonably flat panels. It can suffer from delamination if in high performance yachts where they experience severe slamming. The marine industry typically use end grain balsa in deck mouldings and foam in sandwich construction hulls.

Ian

Ah!   That's why I used paper honeycomb!   A LOT cheaper than aluminium.     'Slamming' isn't something seen in cars even competition ones, until disaster happens:

Honeycomb-tissue.jpg.d42f6c0d68848705a049050b81f58692.jpg

Gel-coat + single layer matt outer coat,  honeycomb attached with expanding polyurethane foam, inner coat single layer of glass tissue/resin.

Result: Roofme1A.jpg.2021434ed58e7f21e67767c45b57112a.jpg

That roof was stiff and solid at 124mph on the 'Ring, but when the roof hits the road:

N.jpg.a2c9c36e011f362bde161cc2b2838157.jpg

Hey,ho that's motor racing.

John

Edited by JohnD