Hard Wiring Dash Cam

Paul H

16 minutes ago, johny said:

yes USB connection is white and green for data, which for a stand alone camera shouldnt be necessary, while red and black are +ve and -ve 5 volt respectively...

Thanks for info . I was going to connect red and black cables to 12volts . Is this correct ? 
Paul 

Just now, Josef said:

No! If you feed your device 12V when it is expecting 5V it will not be very happy…

Oops , thanks for saving my dash cam, back to the drawing board . What do I need to step down the current ? 
Paul

Just now, johny said:

Ha yes you need to wire in a USB socket in the car. What has happened to the plug on the end of the camera cable?

The usb plugged into the camera is too short so the cable shown is an extension. USB cable 

Paul 

No just a front camera . The cable is hidden by peeling back the windscreen rubber and tucking in . The only visible cable is by the dash and could hide that as well 

IMG_0719.thumb.jpeg.174bff87798db937d250e1f33f989301.jpeg

IMG_0720.thumb.jpeg.df26e2a9a7886a720bf8a7f5d2a6a78e.jpeg

Paul 

Just now, johny said:

Yes that will do it Paul but then difficult to use it for anything else like phone or torch charging?

I have a cigarette socket which is used  for sat nav 

IMG_0721.thumb.jpeg.22c80b26aff4c39a9142517e0f9859a8.jpeg

Paul 

8 minutes ago, johny said:

Thought you wanted to solder that usb extension cable on?

Not necessary now can use the existing male usb will reach the the female usb from the volt reducer 

Paul

They're not all the same; mine was hard wired into the fuse box of the modern and has a red cable and yellow cable, one for permanent power and one for engine-controlled power; this was changed a while back (2016?) so that the original colours were now reversed and caused a bit of head scratching until I got it right. The cheapie version bought for another vehicle just plugs into the 12v power socket. Not had a USB-controlled one so far.

Beware that some record audio and also ALL THE TIME so playback catches me talking to myself, swearing, singing and making comments on attractive pedestrians.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

They're not all the same; mine was hard wired into the fuse box of the modern and has a red cable and yellow cable, one for permanent power and one for engine-controlled power; this was changed a while back (2016?) so that the original colours were now reversed and caused a bit of head scratching until I got it right. The cheapie version bought for another vehicle just plugs into the 12v power socket. Not had a USB-controlled one so far.

They have a rechargeable battery so can start up automatically with the 'impact when parked' function is activated. In my experience this battery eventually fails and then the camera loses its settings😞