Exhaust manifold

iana

Whilst doing the brakes on the herald estate, noticed the exhaust has seen better days - awaiting lead time from the club for a new exhaust, but the exhaust manifold has obviously been a problem in the past as the joint is bolted rather than studs and nuts, is this an issue or do i just replace the bolts? If just a case of replacing the bolts do they need to be anything special? (have tried to get a replacement manifold but I'm struggling at present to find a decent one in stock anywhere)

Edited by iana
last line

use of bolts is a fairly often fix when the orig studs have sheared  the stud holes are drilled out and a bolt used , disadvantage is you need two hands and two spanners to do the bolts/nuts up tight.

generally you use brass/gunmetal nuts on exhaust flanges as they dont rust and corrode with the heat  but noy essential.

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

I used a bolt for the first time ever on the 13/60; no alternative, as the first set of studs I bought from an eBay seller lost their threads once I even breathed on them. I managed to find a much better set, heavy duty from Spalding Fasteners (search the forum, there are entire threads about bronze / phosphor bronze and other studs) but found that the manifold itself was too rusted at one point to hold the stud, the original stud having sheared and therefore requiring drilled out. The bolt gripped very well and I'm tempted to say it's out of sight therefore fit-and-forget; I reckon it will take many years of my use before it causes any problems.

I have personally had problems with the brass nuts sold for this purpose as they have stripped the threads before tightening properly. Apparently bronze used to be used as it's stronger, but it's more expensive so is now very rarely available. I made my own bronze nuts from hex stock and have had no more problems, so if they're the same thread as a 1200 saloon I could make you some more.

the club shop haven't called back yet with the availability of an exhaust, last night I had an email from Rimmers giving a 10% discount and they have exhausts in stock, BUT only a 12 month warranty - any feedback on Rimmers quality?

On 23/04/2024 at 21:25, JohnD said:

That's because brass is a cheap and nasty substitute for what should be used!!  Brass is too soft a metal.

PROPER manifold nuts are BRONZE!

Find a boat chandler's.

John

www,marinestore.co.uk 

mick