Nice Original Vitesse MK2 Saloon for sale

Gary Flinn

Hi All

As most of you know I'm still looking for another Vitesse (10 Months on!) as my next Classic Car.

I've spotted this car listed on the CarandClassic site.

https://www.carandclassic.com/l/C1722325

Although I'm really after a Convertible this looks very straight indeed, although a number of paintwork issues spoil it, I think the vender is very hopeful with the asking price in todays climate but that's just my opinion.

Does anyone know the car?

Regards 

Gary

Don't recognise this one, although fairly local. Never seen it at a Wessex Area meet. Looks really straight, original moulded carpets? ( a bit faded, but no prob). If the mileage is genuine, that's got to be pretty rare nowadays - my first car (Herald) had 62k on it back in 1979! I'd be tempted myself, if I had more garage space!

Gav

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, trigolf said:

Don't recognise this one, although fairly local. Never seen it at a Wessex Area meet. Looks really straight, original moulded carpets? ( a bit faded, but no prob). If the mileage is genuine, that's got to be pretty rare nowadays - my first car (Herald) had 62k on it back in 1979! I'd be tempted myself, if I had more garage space!

Gav

Gav

I'm tempted to have a look as I'm down that way (Sort of) for the SEM meeting at the Weekend.

If it was a convertible I would definitely be viewing it, the interior looks very original, shame about the Paintwork issues though and no Over-drive.

Gary

Posted (edited)
On 07/05/2024 at 18:23, trigolf said:

Hmm..

Reckon that the paintwork repairs rqd. would be a strong haggling point.🤔

Yes

The bad rust scabs do put me off the car, I know how much professional paintwork can cost, no over-drive fitted also put me off it.

I've had some feedback form the vendor and may be able to view it on Sunday after SEM, watch this space.

Gary

Edited by Gary Flinn

On 11/05/2024 at 12:25, Steve P said:

Derby-Leatherhead-Dorchester-Derby, I admire your resolve.

Steve

Steve

I'm still very keen to get that decent original Vitesse☺️

I went to view the car after the SEM but due to numerous rust blisters on the Bonnet/Roof/Boot upper surfaces, plus a very noisy gearbox in the intermediate gears (Worn layshaft presumably?) I won't be making an offer on it.

The interior of the car, the panel fit and the rest of the Bodywork and underside where excellent though, I reckon it was still fitted with all the original chassis outrigger which is amazing for a 55 year old car, although the side rails had been replaced, there was only partial history with the car M.O.T's between 85 and 95 and the car had been stored in a damp garage (Leaking roof) for for near on 30 years.

The Vendor (Mark) accepted the car as part payment on some restoration work he'd done on the owners Sunbeam Rapier, he had done quite a bit of recommissioning work to the brakes, clutch, cooling system and Electrical systems, he is also a keen Alvis owner and had a late Stag parked on his drive so I'm not sure if he was a part time dealer or not?   

I don't know if its me, but how can someone ask for near on £11k for a Vitesse Saloon that needs a respray (Which will cost anything from £3K to £6K at a guess even if I do some of the work) and it also needs a gearbox rebuild (£1K minimum?), the car didn't have Over-drive or the desirable Webasto Sunroof either.

In my opinion the cars worth £6K to £7K Tops, or am I out of touch?

PS - It was around 5.30 PM when I finished viewing the car, I put my Home Post Code into the Satnav and it stated 226 miles and an ETA of 9.30pm!

We actually got back around 10.30pm after a couple of coffee/loo breaks and I was shattered!

So the search will continue.        

Gary

11K sounds a lot for that amount of work to make it right.

My 68 Herald 13/60 has all the original out riggers but I had to put new side rails on it back in 2013 when I recommissioned it after a 30 year layup in a garage near Heathrow, the then 19 year old had had a prang and damaged the bonnet and cross rail, it came with a new rail and second hand bonnet so was an easy fix.

Her father never got round to fixing it and he was in his eighties when I bought it. I also noticed that the front riggers are gusseted in the corners, must be factory but I haven`t seen that before.

Steve

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The vendor did say he was open to offers, how low will he go though? If it had been a convertible with a more comprehensive history file I may have made an offer. I missed out on a 3 owner 47K miles Mk2 Convertible by being too cautious because of what I thought was an engine issue. Some times you need to take a risk, there are not many low mileage low owner cars left now and what cars are left, the owners seem to hold on to them.

Edited by Gary Flinn

On 16/05/2024 at 21:19, Colin Lindsay said:

It's a scam Colin. I messaged the guy asking if still available, got a "Yes" back, I asked for more info and photos, nothing. A very strange sounding name and a weird Facebook profile too🫣