Hi All

Out of interest, these style wheels would be my preferred choice for my mk2 Vitesse (see library photo attached).

I don’t know what style wheel these are known as, and assume they are as fitted to Gt6’s Would all the GT6 variants be suitable?

Also is  the ET size common irrespective of rim width ie 4.5”, 5.0” or 5.5”
IMG_3944.jpeg.ebd69e67872d6c3cff32d4eb0417053f.jpeg
Thanks in advance 

I suppose they area generally reffered to as Dunlop or 'Oval' wheels. Rather that reinvent the ...errrr...wheel, it may be worth reading a previous discussion of this matter at:

I've fallen foul twice of buying supposed sets of wheels only to find that 'set' meant 'somewhat similar to superficial inspection'. So care is needed if purchasing to check that the stampings (*see thread) are exactly the same.

'Our' smaller Triumphs all used the same PCD of 3.75 inches so (almost) any wheel that fits the Spitfire / GT6 range will fit the Vitesse; I say 'almost' as some of the wider wheels may foul the wheel arches or the bodywork when moving up and down on the suspension or turning on full lock. Those wheels pictured are most commonly 4.5J, more unusually 5J, and much harder to find in 5.5J, but they'll fit your hubs ok. 

Update:

I’ve just taken a punt and bought a set of 5x13 Dunlop rims for my Vitesse, Listed to suit Triumph 1500/ Herald /Vitesse/dolomite.

I hope to have these by next weekend.

I now need to find a set of wheel nuts to suit. I understand these should be 3/8” UNF size, presumably other car makers eg mini would be compatible to use too? Or if anyone has a set to sell please pm me.

TIA Steve

•  
  •  

The wheel nuts for these style are chrome blind nuts, and have a recess for a plastic ring which is what holds on the hub cap. They don’t survive all that well second hand after years of being removed and refitted!

10 hours ago, Josef said:

They don’t survive all that well second hand after years of being removed and refitted!

And they rust badly!

I replaced mine with stainless nuts which have the retaining ring slot. Shape wise mine are indistinguishable from the original.

Mine were cheaper than this.

TRIUMPH SPITFIRE MKIV-1500 & GT6 MK3 & DOL 1850HL STAINLESS STEEL WHEEL NUT SET | eBay

Doug

I never liked the height of the standard Spitfire/GT6 wheel trims/caps, they made me think of chariot wheel spinners designed to destroy the enemy!

So I modified ours by cutting them down in height about an inch, then pushing the truncated part inside the bottom section JB welding them in place and finally fitting/screwing the alloy Triumph Globe embellishment, which neatly covered the truncated part. The globe was held in place using a Rivnut compressed into the old and realigned top

Photo 3      Original Spitfire 1500 Centre Wheel Trim.JPG

Photo 4    Trumcating Centre Wheel Trim.JPG

Photo 5        Spitfire 1500 Type Globe modified Wheel Trim.JPG

Yes as Straightsix doesnt sound like hes going to use the standard hubcaps I wonder what other options are available to cover the centre hole as pretty ugly otherwise. Cant just be a flat plate, assuming theyre available in the correct diameter, as the hub centres need to protrude through...