Lydden Classics Kent 23rd June

Iain T

I used to go all over the UK watching the TSSC and other classic racing series, including Lydden. One of my old bosses used to race a Vauxhall Firenza 2.3L in the old Thunder Saloon series which became the BTCC eventually, hardly ever finished due to reliability issues.

This event looks good, pencilled in for my Vitesse.

Steve

I went along to last year’s event I was surprised how small the circuit was.

i used to really enjoy watching Rally Cross from Lydden on tv back in the day, think it may have even been in black & white 🤔

I hope to go again this year 🤞

22 hours ago, Straightsix said:

I went along to last year’s event I was surprised how small the circuit was.

It seems even smaller racing round it with a dozen 1960s Jag saloons!

I remember the toilet block as a bio hazard. They must have updated it 🤞

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping for some cloud cover or it'll get a bit sweaty in my Vitesse saloon. I've cleaned the car and given the tyres a kick and ready to go. Should be a good day's racing.

May the Road Gods be kind to us with no traffic jams please.

See you there 

Iain 

Bit of a late reply!

As I managed to include my phone with the following days washing!

Thankfully the phone survived and am able to get back on line.

Anyway was good to say hello to a couple of people from the forum albeit very brief, family circumstances etc.

I decided to take the Vitesse and in the end and all was well. Getting into the circuit was an absolute nightmare, sat nav insisting exploring nearly every single track road there was, only to discover there was a new entrance.

There was a good turnout of classic cars on display, shame couldn’t be said for the number of cars racing, unless 2CV’s float yer boat. Very disappointing.

Couple of members cars I think, I forgot to include mine and a saffron? CV Vitesse also there. 🤦🏼‍♂️IMG_3995.thumb.jpeg.5e85500929f83761bd0e253018331d29.jpegIMG_3996.thumb.jpeg.e8d007c15a0525d9fba4ffb32727b114.jpeg

Posted (edited)

My ears were burning....yes that's my Triumph/Lotus. My knees are X rated so not suitable for this forum!

Nice Anglia, it's looks like fun. I agree the racing wasn't that interesting but it made a nice background noise. However I don't need much of an excuse to get the Vitesse out for a blast.

I had a good chin wag with a couple of guys (one had the red Herald) and was invited to their informal club. Great badge!

IMG_20240623_134040989.jpg

Edited by Iain T

A very odd car at Lydden. Looked like a non period Aston engine, no idea about the chassis and what looks like a Daimler front grille. I thought my car had identity issues!

IMG_20240623_123338981.jpg

IMG_20240623_123330252.jpg

On 26/06/2024 at 14:29, Straightsix said:

Couple of members cars I think, I forgot to include mine and a saffron? CV Vitesse also there.

Yes, I was there in the mk2 Saffron Vitesse. Nice to meet you briefly, and had a chat with Iain. Think Steve P was there but didn't see him or his car. Like Lydden, been a spectator at many races through the years. Show was Ok, could have done with more racing and variety in my opinion. Thought I was going to get in for half price arriving in a classic, but apparently not, only pre-purchased advanced tickets get the discount, i didn't read it that way, but paid the £20 entry fee. I was there very early and lots of cars arriving, so so filled up considerately more than the photo below. Thought the food on offer was very nice and reasonably priced. Hot day though, stayed till arond 2 O'clock ish, then headed off. Managed around 32 mpg, 60 to 70mph on sprint Hs6 carbs.

IMG_0928.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

• Like 2