Lucas Charging Circuit Tests

I spent a day with Tim Hunts   (CT)   TR4A where we measured and checked things over and over  with some good results

a drive down the road blew both headlamps ...decided these are best left alone or just renew

Pete

All that I can add here is that there is a procedure in the 1970's brown Haynes Manual on how to set the three bobbin regulator using the special tool. If it was followed carefully, it all worked fine. However, a few set the voltage too high and also the current bit resuling in blown bulbs and a burned out dynamo.

Fit an alternator and forget all of it, I say.

Yes Ive been fiddling with mine and fitted a digital voltmeter worry gauge in the glovebox. The regulator output varies quite a lot with temperature so is a bit concerning when cold but no blown bulbs yet.....

18 minutes ago, johny said:

Yes Ive been fiddling with mine and fitted a digital voltmeter worry gauge in the glovebox. The regulator output varies quite a lot with temperature so is a bit concerning when cold but no blown bulbs yet.....

It is meant to compensate for ambient temperarure, as set out in the 'Proper' adjustment procedure. It was a clever mechaical device before solid state stuff replaced it.