Lowered Vitesse?

Hi everyone

My Vitesse looks as though it sit's lower than on old photo's of original cars.

It has 185/60 R30 tyres. Would this give a lower profile?.

Have been on minty lamb site and assessed their tyre comparison page, though it says their is an error and it won't do the calculations.

If it has been lowered by modifications, then what are these likely to be please.

Cheers, Dave

Yes, the tyres will sit the car lower by a whole 1/2" (actually that is significant) as they are 1" smaller diameter than 155/80

Worth measuring the fitted length of the front springs and seeing if a decambered rear spring(or a swingspring) or lowering block has been fitted.

Remember my 1/2" is based on 155/80 tyres, crossplies may have a different diameter, quite possibly a bit bigger than radials.

Also remember the springs will have relaxed over the years.

Is the lower stance a problem? handling or ride not as it should be? (often a consequence of a badly lowered car)

Cheers for getting back Clive

Handling and ride are ok.

I'm not so keen on the low look and anything to make it a slightly easier to get in and out would be also be ok.

When I next change the tyres I wiil look into 165 (185 a bit wide for me) and see if I can get say, a % of width at 80 (70 would be the same circumferance as now). Haven't done the maths yet to see how much higher this would raise it.

Also my speedo reads about 20% under, so it may help with that.

I guess it's not a simple case as for example 20% increase in tyre circumferance, gives a 20% speedo reading increase.

Cheers, Dave

May we see a picture, Daver?

And do yu know what has been done to the suspension?

Popular lowering mods include stiffer shorter coil springs in front, and a spacer under the leaf spring at the back.  Plus a stiffer rear spring too sometimes.

If you have the swing axle version, then this is a cornering benefit, as it provides for a mild negative camber and further travel before it goes positive, let alone jacking up.

At the front a similar slight negative ensues from lowering, but there the camber may be adjusted without spring change by adjusting the number of wishbone spacers.

So pics please, inc. the front suspension.

Take the rear seat out and remove the cover plate above the diff. to see what's there!

JOhn