Cars left to die, rotting

JohnD

There's a Dolomite Sprint been stored outside at a coal merchants near were I live for near on 40 years now, it would have only been 4 or 5 years old when it was parked up, in fact I drove past it last night. 

I also know of a Mk2 Spitfire that's been left for Rot outside for a similar period of time.

It's such a shame because not doubt they will be too far gone now to restore and will only be suitable for spares.

Gary  

My car is up for sale in The Courier. Had one inquiry so far. It is too good to scrap but I will need the space. It is very difficult to find people wanting to work on these cars. I would do more if ten years younger.

Down the road from me is a competition Ford 105E, a 1950's Sunbeam Talbot, and another Vitesse in a garage. The owner is aged and incapable of working on them. Also reluctant to part with them.

How do we encourage younger people to take these things on?

On 05/07/2024 at 20:14, Wagger said:

How do we encourage younger people to take these things on?

That's going to be a problem, especially in the current climate of 'come in what you drive' at shows. Yes quantity may raise more money for charity but making an instant classic out of a five year old car is no incentive for anyone younger to want to change to anything else than his daily driver. These 'modern classics' like the Mini, Fiat 500 and even the Figaro are everywhere these days and the older cars get shunned.

Another aspect you touched on - the 'reluctant to part with them'. This seems to raise the price considerably. A few years back I was trying to buy a local Herald convertible - £7500. A converted saloon with Toledo engine but the owner had owned it for years and that was his price. I've bought two or three since then but never paid more than £2500, but he was seriously holding out. I checked just now and it's currently taxed, but no idea of who owns it today. The owner at that time told me he really wanted me to have it, he made contact later through a friend and still wanted me to have it, but no reduction in price and his was at least twice the price of a really good one at that time. No chance of anyone young buying at that sort of money when they could get three MX5s for the same amount.

Regarding people wanting to work on them, I'm starting to have people making contact now for simple mechanical work or spare Herald parts, more than ever before - no intention of going into business but it seems no-one knows how to do simple things any more. I've to check a gearbox and replace a front oil seal later in the week for local owners.

John's photo is interesting: the first car I 'nearly' bought was ADV 708, not a local plate at that time.

Here's one photographed a few years back, can't remember where now!

pic4.png.f61459ea1b0c341857137277ffe5a7cd.png

There is a serious skill shortage everwhere now. In the 1960's all of my classmates were shown how to wire a plug properly and change tap washers. We used to sharpen our pencils with a pocket knife and carve sticks to make whistles.

If it cannot be done on a phone or computer, nobody wants to know.

Maybe a compulsory week int a 1950's home would show some just how interesting it could be.

On 12/07/2024 at 16:36, Colin Lindsay said:

It was in the paper yesterday that Alexa had told a young girl to short out two terminals on a half-inserted plug with a coin as a challenge. We had to work out how to do things like that for ourselves.

That's natural selection in action, right?

Cheers, Richard