Uneven tyre wear

Chris A

Hi everyone,

The tyres on my 13/60 are wearing unevenly and I would be interested in your thoughts (camber, toe in, suspension). The tyres are dated 4915, so are getting a bit old and replacing them on that basis is a likely option - possibly cheaper than fixing the problem 😵. It would also hide the problem from the next French version of the MOT. 😁

As you can see the wear is more pronounced on the outer part in each case.

Front passenger side

FP.thumb.JPG.212ba256fea27c47e6c71e417a783590.JPG

Front driver

FD1.thumb.JPG.851115ac0d69f326f02de36e67831378.JPG

Rear passenger

RP.thumb.JPG.a7cf060dd420e769b2fc70c665c2a37f.JPG

Rear driver

RD1.thumb.JPG.84808d7c92aa2baf31d029c6d73b84ee.JPG

1 hour ago, johny said:

Have the tyres been swopped around Chris? The fronts look more evenly worn than the rears which is unusual...

No, not swapped around since fitted.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

looks a bit like under inflation and toe in excessive

Originally I ran them at 24 front, 26 rear but for a while now they have been at 26 front & 29 rear.

Well I think fronts look pretty even so you probably brake well before bends as is correct, maybe they could take a bit more pressure as Pete says. For the rears you could try an extra shim or two on the tie bars. Ive recently removed two each side on my Vitesse as the back used to come round too much on round abouts😳 Its worked a treat although I did put in a 0.5" lowering block at the same time. Yet to see how it affects tyre wear...

13 minutes ago, johny said:

Well I think fronts look pretty even so you probably brake well before bends as is correct

Brakes? Oh, that's the middle pedal if my memory is correct. Yes I was taught to brake early 'lose the speed on the straight or the car on the bend' was the favourite saying of my driving instructor back in 1970.

17 minutes ago, johny said:

maybe they could take a bit more pressure as Pete says.

I'll try adding a couple of psi all round, or as we say here 0.137895 bar, i.e from 1.8 to 1.9 front & from 2.0 to 2.1 rear.

19 minutes ago, johny said:

For the rears you could try an extra shim or two on the tie bars

I was wondering about the shims but couldn't remember if I would have to add or remove 🙄. I'll look up about the part number and how it's done, then see Fabien the mechanic in the next village.

Thanks chaps for the reasurance that the wheels aren't about to fall off . . . 

9 minutes ago, johny said:

Easy to make and fit shims as long as the rear outrigger bolts come undone ok.

Yes indeed. I'd probably order a set of bolts on the basis that some at least wouldn't come out and be reusable.

The 'book' gives a marked Positive camber setting, 2-4 degrees, which was fine for the crossplybtyres of the time but excessive for modern radial.   This is why your outer shoulders are wearing.

Set the camber to 0 or even 1 degree Negative (top of tyre inboard of where it touches the road.    Better adhesion and longer tyre life!

John

59 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Yes indeed. I'd probably order a set of bolts on the basis that some at least wouldn't come out and be reusable.

Well youve only got to undo the nuts enough to slip in a shim and then tighten up. Start getting the penetrating oil on them now👍

1 hour ago, johny said:

Well youve only got to undo the nuts enough to slip in a shim and then tighten up. Start getting the penetrating oil on them now👍

ONLY. Heard that before.

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Set the camber to 0 or even 1 degree Negative (top of tyre inboard of where it touches the road.    Better adhesion and longer tyre life!

John

That ONLY requires a cheap gauge ONLY needs a few turns of the spanner.

Actually I might look at what gauges are available if my garage man hasn't got one 😁

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

Chris, 

May I humbly refer you to my article on the Sideways forum?   See: https://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/8316-measuring-camber-front-or-back/#comment-111120

Detail of the camber question and a DiY camber gauge!  Cost? Pennies.

John

Your humble suggestion is gratefully accepted. I've scrolled down it and will read it through when I get the chance - busy couple of days ahead.

Is there a version in French I can give to my mechanic . . . 😁

As for your cheap gauge, all I need to buy is a sheet of metal, a press to for it, string - I've got string  - that's a start. 😁

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

Your humble suggestion is gratefully accepted. I've scrolled down it and will read it through when I get the chance - busy couple of days ahead.

Is there a version in French I can give to my mechanic . . . 😁

As for your cheap gauge, all I need to buy is a sheet of metal, a press to for it, string - I've got string  - that's a start. 😁

Sigh.      Chris, petty objections are not the way to greet honest attempts to help.  You indicated that a camber gauge was too expensive.  As Pete suggests a piece of plywood would serve as well, or cardboard  for a disposable  version.  As for a French translation, Google translate will produce a readable one.   Anyway, surely your mechanic will have a camber gauge?   

JOhn

PS johnny, raising the rear spring will produce more negative camber.        Or, and don't look Chris, this is beyond you, adjustable wishbones:

P1030592.JPG.fe3d6051d536d765789a8779a016b869.JPG

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Sigh.      Chris, petty objections are not the way to greet honest attempts to help.  You indicated that a camber gauge was too expensive.  As Pete suggests a piece of plywood would serve as well, or cardboard  for a disposable  version.  As for a French translation, Google translate will produce a readable one.   Anyway, surely your mechanic will have a camber gauge?   

John, didn't you see all the smileys I included?

I'm not belittling the suggestions, I'm grateful for them as I said. Same for a French translation, if I needed one I would do it myself.

3 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

use plywood ???

That is something I do have in my bit boxes. It doesn't even need to be marine ply as I wouldn't be using it in the rain 

3 hours ago, johny said:

no camber adjustment on rear

I thought that is what the shims are for, but then I still need to do some more reading up on it all.

Yes the front suspension can have its camber set with shims while the rear on a Herald can really only have its toe in/out adjusted with shims. Its clear when you see the drawings...

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Chris,

Replacing this tyre because of it's age is not "a likely option" It's BLOODY IMPERATIVE!!! :angry:

image.thumb.png.dcb91e7018f48e69b9fc5fa48ce4e48a.png

Doug

Yes it is. Is the wear down to age or misalignment? The oposite front doesn't have the show the same marks.

Pair or two pairs of new tyres to be sourced by the weekend, promise. 

• Like 1