Route of fuel line from carbs to pump on early Spitfire Mark IV

Hello all. Does anyone know the correct route for the fuel line from the carbs to the fuel pump on an early Mark IV Spitfire?

Some pictures show the route running from the front carb in between the thermostat housing and the rocker cover. Others show the route passing lower down between the timing cover and the water pump pulley.

Also, some pics show rubber fuel hose all the way, others have a copper fuel pipe for part or most of the run.

Which is the correct/best layout?

1 minute ago, Andrew Palmer said:

Hello all. Does anyone know the correct route for the fuel line from the carbs to the fuel pump on an early Mark IV Spitfire?

Some pictures show the route running from the front carb in between the thermostat housing and the rocker cover. Others show the route passing lower down between the timing cover and the water pump pulley.

Also, some pics show rubber fuel hose all the way, others have a copper fuel pipe for part or most of the run.

Which is the correct/best layout?

No Pics

Andrew,

Metal pipe with rubber joint would be original, similarly on the GT6. However, I've replaced mine with one rubber pipe between pump and carbs. This is to try and limit the rubber slivers issue, the more joints, the more slivers blocking the carb inlet valves. My pipe runs beween thermostat housing and rocker cover, but I think the lower down you describe is original.

Doug

• Like 1

Looking at John Thomason's "Triumph Spitfire and GT6 A Guide to Originality" the lower route is the correct one, between the front of the water pump housing and the water pump pully.

It should also to be a metal pipe from the fuel pump to the carb side of the engine, then rubber between there and the float chamber inlet.

Edited by Mjit
  • Thanks 1

I just did a quick Google search and three photos show the fuel line under the thermostat ie below the waterpump housing, so I'd assume that's it. Earlier cars like my Heralds have it attached to one of the waterpump bolts by a clip which incorporates a rubber grommet to prevent wear. You can just see it in this photo. It's just me but I'm not a great fan of rubber in the system at all, if your fuel pump has a screw-in fitting I'd personally make up a Kunifer pipe that screws in at that point and uses the minimum of rubber for a push fit at the carbs.

IMG_2227.thumb.jpeg.197e04e4987b4ff1668b38bf206e6e57.jpeg

5 hours ago, Andrew Palmer said:

Thanks everyone! I think I'll go with Colin's advice as I do like a bit of originality. 

The pic of your car suggests otherwise! :)