Fitting Gaz front shocks

For clarity I thought I would show the Superflex bush and Rimmer cup. Note the bush location does not fit in the cup hole so the bush is fitted plain side to cup. I fathomed out what was happening with the 'short' shocker shaft, the shaft just needed pulling up as it didn't naturally extend. I've fitted the new bushes and cups to the top and everything locates much better. However I did find a possible problem with the lower top bush as the GAZ cup has been fitted in-between the lower bush and the spring plate. The GAZ cup isn't flat and doesn't seem to sit very well. At some point I will have to strip the assembly and replace the top lower bush with the new Superflex one and Rimmer cup as the GAZ cup isn't a good fit in the Superflex bush. It's half a good job and looks much better than before.

As well as the top is there a cup welded to the bottom of the spring plate to locate the bush?

Thanks for the excellent advice!

Iain

IMG_20240726_154128573.jpg

IMG_20240726_154153862.jpg

IMG_20240726_154134789.jpg

Edited by Iain T

37 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

here a pair in sunny Luton,   can you wait till Shuttleworth ???

Thanks Pete but I couldn't resist buying a must have set off eBay. They have forged clamps not the pressed steel and only £12 incl delivery. Does 380mm which I hope is ok.

Iain

its the problem of being close coiled doesnt leave room for the hooks 

try by all means but most find these wont work 

hence why the churchill designed  tool clamps over the two end plates not the coils 

good luck let use all know , i wont ask when visiting hours are   Ha !

A thought, as I have adjustable ride height shocks might it be possible to wind the spring seat down to relieve most or all of the spring compression? I would need to measure the distance between the two spring seat plates to make sure I set the same ride height and it might save the odd finger or two! The clamps arrive Wednesday so I'll be able to see if I can get the hooks in-between the coils🤞

Iain 

yes that should help. Wont remove all spring tension or shouldnt as there could be a risk of separation when driving! Then after resetting the height adjustment the car should sit with the dampers down about 1/3 of their travel👍

• Thanks 1

On 23/07/2024 at 18:11, Steve P said:

That`s the same as the Avo`s on my Vitesse, but due to the angle of the shock, they tend to eat bottom poly bushes so I did a Spherical bearing conversion.

Steve, do the spherical bearings give a harsher ride?

Iain

Hello Iain,

I don't notice any difference in the ride, it doesn't seem to affect the feel through the steering wheel.

It used to chew the bushes fairly regularly and I spoke to Demon Tweeks who do the spherical bearing conversion.

I had to get 2 x 11mm ali spacers turned up to take up the space either side of the bottom mount to replicate the polybush.

The bearings are M12 so you have to drill the bottom wishbone to fit the M12 bolt.

S

Edited by Steve P

Thank you for the information I'll check the state of my lower bushes. I think GAZ supply a spherical bearing on some of their products so I'll ask them and I can turn up some spacers.

Don't forget Shere Hill climb on 1st September and if you fancy some vintage drooling I'm going to Prescott this Saturday.

Cheers

Iain

1 minute ago, Mjit said:

I've got one of the TSSC spring compressors and am just a couple of Overground stops away down in Sydenham if you'd like to borrow it...

Cheers Mjit thank you for the offer I'll let you know.

Iain

On 27/07/2024 at 10:29, Pete Lewis said:

if these are external claw type clamps they will not work on the triumph spring assy 

You're correct they don't! That's £10 (I got a discount) down the drain.

Plan B is take up Mjit's kind offer or buy the clubs clamps. 

Iain