Mountney Steering wheel boss rubbing column 13/60 herald

Hi all, Apologies if this has been covered before. 

We fitted a Mountney steering wheel and boss, from Rimmerbros, to my Dad's 13/60 at the weekend, the car used to have the original wheel but it was just a bit to big for us. 

Fitted as per instructions and tightened it down. When we rotate the wheel there is a rubbing noise and the boss is rubbing column outer.   

Is there a way of adjusting the column outer so they don't touch? 

Thanks      

Aaron

wheel boss.png

If it's possible, it should be easier to just drop the outer tube, undo the top and lower clamps, and slide it downwards. It's designed to move anyway if the steering is adjusted; so long as you don't disturb the sliding joint on the column it's simple. (That's the other part of the adjustment; if the wheel needs moved upwards and away from the column then you can lengthen the column but it requires precise setting at the sliding joint)

Edited by Colin Lindsay
cheap keyboard
  • Like 1

yes  a good hard tug/push  move the tube or inner column ....its designed to shift in an accident 

just dont use an accident to solve the horn 

but a few shreaded wheat and a shove will drop the tube and make a gap to the handwheel 

without undoing anything ....time to get rough with it 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis
  • Like 1

Thanks Colin, Pete and Paul. 

A combination of loosening the clamps and some brute force, allowed us to move the outer tube a few mm back and it now clears the boss for the steering wheel. No more grinding noises on. 

Thanks from Dad and I :)

IWhatsAppImage2024-07-21at07_07_32.thumb.jpeg.988d34cb29fd4a47bd5e49c43f1fd447.jpeg

Image of my daughter an i trying Dad's car out for size :)

• Like 1

Looking good! In case you didnt know Aaron the original Triumph workshop manuals are available for free download at vitessesteve.co.uk and although the specific one for the 13/60 isnt there the other manuals including the GT6/Vitesse one will cover just about everything you need👍

• Like 1

Thanks Johny will check them out.

It was good to have some advice as well as a manual this is why i like this forum :)

1 hour ago, johny said:

Looking good! In case you didnt know Aaron the original Triumph workshop manuals are available for free download at vitessesteve.co.uk and although the specific one for the 13/60 isnt there the other manuals including the GT6/Vitesse one will cover just about everything you need👍