Huco pump mounting

I am considering a Huco electric pump as it seems that this is the one that one which tends to be recommended very widely  in terms of  dependability and it seems,  very low noise.

Regarding fitting it -  I have seen pictures of them mounted horizontally and others vertically  and yet have see some posts from folk  that  they should be horizontal. 

Are they ‘ universal’ in terms of mounting ?

Have an inertia switch and wiring planned. 

Any views /pics would be most appreciated - about where an under-bonnet version is best suited ?

On my Vitesse I've fitted both vertically and horizontally with no difference in operation. On my Vitesse I currently have mine fitted horizontally on the shelf by the battery.

Iain

• Thanks 1

I believe the Huco pump is best fitted virticle. I have fitted a Hardi - German Manufactured Electronic Fuel Pump

which is very muchScreenshot_20240423_213422_eBay.jpg.590253eb4c3d7997bc1e9f6130263afb.jpg like a huco but better made.

Danny

• Thanks 1

Thank you, guys.

some say vertical, some say horizontal and looking on many other  classic car sites such as MG and Elan etc with pics etc, there seem as many in each category,which makes me think it might not be critical.

However, then I see some  suppliers of Huco say horizontal …

On my GT6 I have fitted mine vertically, mounted off the front of the nearside suspension turret.

I have a 8mm hard line routed across the bulkhead with a flexi to the pump and a final flexi to the carbs. This routing is to avoid having the fuel line immediately adjacent to the head (which I never quite understood).

Ian 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The instructions with the  Hüco aren’t very helpful 

There is ‘ top’ marked  but does this mean the whole end of the pump  should be ‘ Up’ ?-in which case  this means mount it vertically
or just the bit with ‘ Up’ should be uppermost - then that means  it should be horizontal.

7C4B002F-EEA7-44CA-A8B7-1AA3830CCD9F.thumb.jpeg.d5ccc638c2028ee924fa39b06a6ae567.jpeg

Or… Maybe it doesn’t matter… 

Edited by Unkel Kunkel

Looking at it logically the ideal is to have the discharge of any pump at the highest point and inlet at lowest so that air inside naturally tends to flow out and its easier to prime it. With the Huco that means horizontal mounting with the discharge port uppermost which corresponds with TOP plus arrow in the photo and then each connection nozzle can be rotated to suit the pipework in and out👍

I can imagine the worst orientation is vertical with the pipes coming up from below to connect at the top of the pump as this means you have the diaphragm chamber in a pocket of trapped air. However even with this set up the pump (especially when new) will probably have enough oomph to expel it....

2 hours ago, johny said:

Looking at it logically the ideal is to have the discharge of any pump at the highest point and inlet at lowest so that air inside naturally tends to flow out and its easier to prime it. With the Huco that means horizontal mounting with the discharge port uppermost which corresponds with TOP plus arrow in the photo and then each connection nozzle can be rotated to suit the pipework in and out👍

I can imagine the worst orientation is vertical with the pipes coming up from below to connect at the top of the pump as this means you have the diaphragm chamber in a pocket of trapped air. However even with this set up the pump (especially when new) will probably have enough oomph to expel it....

Agree, It would seem then that if mounted horizontal, the outlet should be above the inlet.

The Hardi,  which dannyb refers to, which I think works in the same way to the Huco has instructions also suggests   similar…. but then vertical is OK

5D440387-4908-4F43-95DB-86BE2C07B20A.thumb.jpeg.6644d1fd1628bb541560c9cb92b16548.jpeg

- I think Ill see where it fits easiest!

• Like 1

On 01/08/2024 at 12:23, johny said:

The Huco Gower & Lee web page shows them horizontal but doesnt specifically say that so might be best to ask via their enquiry form...

I followed your advice - they responded very quickly to my query.

They say horizontal with outlet upper most to avoid air lock.

‘When’ I get to fitting it, i’ll see how it can fit best…

• Like 1

On 31/07/2024 at 18:46, dannyb said:

I have fitted a Hardi - German Manufactured Electronic Fuel Pump

which is very much like a huco but better made.

Out of interest which model?

17 hours ago, johny said:

That seems pretty low as the flow rate is up to 100l/h which is far more than even our cars can use😁

If a Spitfire was getting through 100l/hr you'd have to stop and fill up the tank every 20min or so :)

Learning a little bit, I think..

Huco, and the Hardi, appear to share some characteristics  of  the old SU pumps in that they pump until a certain pressure is reached then stop, then performing ‘ on demand.’

Quite a few others,  including the cube type ‘Facet ‘ or one of the many  Ebay look-alikes , ‘clack’ away continuously.

Depending  on the make, siting , mountings - and also the owner, it seems, these types can be  noisy and quite intrusive, like having a  resident maniacal woodpecker.

The Hüco / Hardi option seems more appealing.

I have a Hadi in the engine bay and  Facet in the boot as a back up. I can switch between them. If the Hardi fails then I can switch to the Facet.

Had to do this once when the Huco I had fitted failed.

Danny

26 minutes ago, dannyb said:

I have a Hadi in the engine bay and  Facet in the boot as a back up. I can switch between them. If the Hardi fails then I can switch to the Facet.

Had to do this once when the Huco I had fitted failed.

Danny

Thanks Danny, I like that.

Do you have the Facet / cube pump  plumbed directly into the supply pipe-    ‘ in series’  so to speak, or did you  have to make a to make a branch/  ‘ parallel’  circuit?