Noise

I thought the noise seemed to be from the differential end which is just a universal joint. The other end will probably be a continuous velocity joint (CV), as in that photo, which also allows axial movement between gearbox and differential but doesnt have any needle bearings in it...

• 2 weeks later...

for the body to resonate there has to be something odd going on 

do make sure the starter is actually disengaged from the flywheel 

what  can change the noise ......open shut bonnet ,    driving   idling

braking   any changes  you can hear ???

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

for the body to resonate there has to be something odd going on 

do make sure the starter is actually disengaged from the flywheel 

what  can change the noise ......open shut bonnet ,    driving   idling

braking   any changes  you can hear ???

Pete

Braking there are no changes, the faster the more noise it makes

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

My diff made a whine, always started at a particular speed, and got progressively worse; but a real high-pitched whine, not a rumble or a deep vibration. I used the Dynolite 85 - 140W that James Paddock sells and it did help. 

The noise goes with the inertia of the car, not with the engine speed, it would make the same noise by throwing it down a downhill off than accelerating in the third, when you go to 80 in fourth you can barely hear and convertible you can't hear either

I used Red Line Heavy Shockproof 75W140 in my diff. I've just had a new diff fitted by an experienced company and they also recommended 75W140.

An added feature is as it's red in colour you can see if your diff leaks 😁

Iain

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Iain T said:

I used Red Line Heavy Shockproof 75W140 in my diff. I've just had a new diff fitted by an experienced company and they also recommended 75W140.

An added feature is as it's red in colour you can see if your diff leaks 😁

Iain

A non-leaking diff always makes me suspicious; in many cases there's no oil to leak.

28 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

A non-leaking diff always makes me suspicious; in many cases there's no oil to leak.

Now you're trying to make me worried 😂😂😂. It's not difficult with my car..... Before the diff was changed it did indeed bleed red goo.

Iain

12 hours ago, Iain T said:

Now you're trying to make me worried 😂😂😂. It's not difficult with my car..... Before the diff was changed it did indeed bleed red goo.

Iain

Every year I have a Garage Day at my house and change or top-up all the oils on member's cars from underneath, and some are indeed woefully empty; in fact in 2022 one was completely dry. Mine leak - my fault in bending the side plates when driving bearings off the stub axles and trusting to gaskets rather than sealant on reassembly - but are kept well topped up regularly.

Guys, Today I have changed the oil of the differential and I have seen traces of metal in it, shiny and I have confirmed it with a magnet, I still don't know if it is the cause of the noise or it could be the bearings of the differential, I've put new Castrol 75w140 oil and the noise hasn't decreased at all