Classic car show yesterday 13/60

Steve P

Anyone see the show on at 9pm yesterday after Bangers and Cash? I watched it as they did a Herald 13/60 CV.

Premise is the client had a budget of 9k and the two guys (one called Sheldon), can`t remember the other, find a suitable car and get it to a good standard and show the client.

They ended up buying a good low owner car for £7250, replacing the diff, and a trip to TSSC headquarters where the now departed Julian shows them round and sells them a new hood.

I found it annoying because if either of those two are mechanics I`m a brain surgeon. Also the false jeopardy of having the car up on a lift whilst removing the diff and saying he was nervous about about removing the spring top plate as there is still tension in the spring, there Isn`t.

One to miss for me.

S

• Haha 1

I still wonder about the budget angle; their client has a budget of say £12000. They buy a car for £7000 then spend the rest, right up to the limit, on shiny bits and junk just to use up the remaining cash. A lot of the stuff they add to the cars is unnecessary bling. 

Been a while since I watched that one but didn't they refer to the TSSC as the Triumph Owner's Club?

• Like 1

Reality? "We are no longer debating facts" as Harry recently said: "People are being fed false information and don't know what to believe any more".

He was also quoted as saying: "It only takes one lone actor with a 7/16 spanner" he said. That's why I won't bring my Herald to the UK any more."

Hi guys

I have to admit I am a sucker for most of the car shows, there are some good shows among them but I have to admit I like Wheeler Dealers and Salvage Hunters Classic Cars because on both shows they often give you different lines of thought - one one of the shows they got an anti roll bar made, I didn’t know independent people still did it so I searched around and found a guy to make one for my Standard. The same went for getting old steering wheels remanufactured, I did not know there were companies who did them for cars like mine?

The trouble with both of the shows mentioned, you never really get an idea of the full cost of the restoration, “Mechanic” costs never seem to be included and you know that some of the prices stated are not realistic to the likes of us. Another area which is unlikely to happen for us - they always seem to get parts in days when it can take us months or years to find bits. Time is always shortened.

To me the car restoration shows are usually worth watching rather than some of the other stuff. Bangers and Cash can give you ideas about prices and the restorations people can and do but the three show I mentioned are the gold standard, there are British tv makers jumping on the bandwagon and making programs which make everything look very easy and some seem to be about mates and comedy

Eric

I watch Kindig Customs from Salt Lake City and although some of its a bit stupid (not as bad as some of the other US stuff though) the fabrication and interior work they do is absolutely beautiful to see!

1 hour ago, Eric Smith said:

The trouble with both of the shows mentioned, you never really get an idea of the full cost of the restoration

there are British tv makers jumping on the bandwagon and making programs which make everything look very easy and some seem to be about mates and comedy

It's meant to be entertainment, not nightmare... so NO costs or expenses if you please! I love the light-hearted angle of it all, nothing complicated, no hidden messages or agenda, just guys having fun with old bikes or cars.

Henry Cole for example is a complete fraud - I like his programmes but I've spotted stuff in his sheds that he's supposed to have sold for a profit many episodes before... :)

35 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

It's meant to be entertainment, not nightmare... so NO costs or expenses if you please! I love the light-hearted angle of it all, nothing complicated, no hidden messages or agenda, just guys having fun with old bikes or cars.

Henry Cole for example is a complete fraud - I like his programmes but I've spotted stuff in his sheds that he's supposed to have sold for a profit many episodes before... :)

Colin, this should not be 'Funny' but my eldest son has had cars that he has sold and has he money for still sitting outdoors on his plot. The new owners fail to collect them and they then pay him storage. I would not have the nerve! That's why I am a useless businessman.

Johny - I knew there must be a kindred spirit somewhere in classic car land - Kindig Customs - now you are talking!

Being serious, Kindig Customs just goes to show what you can do with a car when you have a bottomless budget, Gasmonkey Garage is often the came, you can say one thing about our American cousins - they know how to customise cars! The cars and the presenters can be equally loud and brash, but the work they do does the talking for them.

Back in the day, I went into WH Smith in Walsall and purchased the first ever issue of Custom Car (I wish I had kept it) and I have been hooked ever since, the amount of money I have spent on British and American hotrod and custom magazines is ridiculous. I have to admit I have a bit of addiction to ratrods as well.

Admitting you like Hotrods Ratrods and Customs to some people in the classic car circles is akin to being in need of serious medication and a permanent place in a hospital.

Must go, it’s time for the tablets

Eric

9 hours ago, Eric Smith said:

Being serious, Kindig Customs just goes to show what you can do with a car when you have a bottomless budget, Gasmonkey Garage is often the came, you can say one thing about our American cousins - they know how to customise cars! The cars and the presenters can be equally loud and brash, but the work they do does the talking for them.

Does bring tears to your eyes sometimes though when you see the beautiful classic Kindig are going to modify or even ones that are already done but theyre going to update! I see one of their car went for 770k so you can see what sort of budgets we're talking about....

I remember the old Top Gear doing a number of features on restored and remanufactured Jags, Astons and Jenson’s - they were all very nice but very expensive creatures once restored, to be honest I don’t think they are interesting enough for me, even if I had the money I could not justify the cost or want one enough.

A couple of years ago, I was offered a TR5 for not much money, I was very tempted so I looked into getting it restored by professional restorers - the car needed some help but it was not a basket case or a pile of rust - the restorer admitted to me the quote for the cost of the restoration was going to be a lot more than the car would ever be have been worth, and he said about 2 years work? As much as I would have liked to have saved the car, the estimate of time and money was too much for me.

I guess it’s all about the depth of your pockets and what you want to drive?

E

22 minutes ago, Eric Smith said:

I remember the old Top Gear doing a number of features on restored and remanufactured Jags, Astons and Jenson’s - they were all very nice but very expensive creatures once restored, to be honest I don’t think they are interesting enough for me, even if I had the money I could not justify the cost or want one enough.

A couple of years ago, I was offered a TR5 for not much money, I was very tempted so I looked into getting it restored by professional restorers - the car needed some help but it was not a basket case or a pile of rust - the restorer admitted to me the quote for the cost of the restoration was going to be a lot more than the car would ever be have been worth, and he said about 2 years work? As much as I would have liked to have saved the car, the estimate of time and money was too much for me.

I guess it’s all about the depth of your pockets and what you want to drive?

E

Ever watch 'Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars'? I'm always amazed at the costs they incur, the work is always done properly and immaculately, but always expensively. The end result is a superbly finished car but the person who buys it pays a premium. Is the buyer out of pocket, have they been duped  into paying over the odds, or are they getting a great car that'll be worth more than just money and will hold its' value? I guess the happiness factor is something you can't put a price on.

Hi Colin - when Salvage Hunters Classic Cars first aired I was not sure about how it would pan out, but like you it’s grown on me, Paul Cowland and Drew Pritchard both have strong personal and work reputations to look after so I think they could not afford to do anything risky on TV.

I feel the restored cars new owners often get the cars of their dreams, sale prices wise who knows, I guess they are comparable with other dealer sales but I suppose when you get your few minutes of fame and a car at the same time so the prices are relative?

As you say, the work done looks really good, I am not sure as to how people get to know about the cars for sale, but then again I don’t do social media apart from car forums.

Eric