Converting a waxstat carburetter

coxy123

Hi,

I have had to convert my 1978 1500 Spitfire to a non-waxstat setup. I bought the conversion kit from Rimmers, which included some very vague instructions.

I have a few questions for you more knowledgeable members.

1. The jets do not fully retract to the adjuster nut when you pull on the link arm, is this normal? There are no fluids in carbs at the moment.

2. I have reassembled the carbs, how much sideways movement should there be on the link rods, as mine seem pretty slack?

3. I've put the top link, with the throttle connector the wrong way around. Please verify which way round it should be.

That's it, for now, appreciate your help.

I had issues with a new spring covered flexi pipe between the float chamber and the jet being too long and stopping the jet returning to the lower position. The inner thin nylon pipe had to be cut a little shorter to enable fee movement of the arm/jet, be very careful it is easy to kink the nylon pipe which cannot be repaired successfully

have had bad experience with the rimmers wonky rod kit   its far better and easier to uncrimp the wax capsule

swap it for 2 x 1p pieces    must keep the small steel spacer  , re crimp and you keep your original operating rods 

and is saves you £££££s    the kit is expensive and mostly  unfortunately   rubbish

agree with pete  there have been many a tube needs a few mm cutting off to get the choke to return properly 

best to use a scalpel  or razor blade , maybe a stanley blade 

dont use side cutters etc.

i would modify your old jets and refit the orig linkage if you want this all to work ok 

Pete

I had modified using pennies but there were other issues with the pipe, etc 

I've swapped the linkages, everything seems to work apart from the jets not returning fully, but I haven't tightened pipes up yet so maybe that's what's holding the jet out that bit

try it with the float bowl nd disconnected  if the jet now moves fully up/down then the 

jet pipe is making the resistance   and  a few mm cut cleanly off may help 

my sympathies with the rods   .springs  what goes where  nightmare kit 

Pete