Permitted Rear Hub twist

Peter Truman

As advised elsewhere I'm building up two spare Spitfire rear axle assemblies from diff to rear hub/wheel, I've had the axles annealed/teat treated to remove any directional memory to avoid torsional failure, I'm about to fit the outer rear hubs with new wheel studs to the assembled axle's, new UJ's, rear inner hub (new good quality bearings), 

Being worried about buckled rear hubs I've just had the hub faces checked, one is 0.008 of a mm out on the outer face, which we considered acceptable, the other 0.017 of a mm out, the latter we propose to skim so it's flat. a third one I had was 0.045 of a mm out a definite case of a 3 arm bearing puller being used, that too will be skimmed!

What is the acceptable twist in the outer face of the rear hub, I've followed a supposed Concour quality Spit in the past where the wheel wobble of the wheel looked horrible, that in fact was a buckled wheel, new Minilite replica's fixed that. 

I would appreciate any members knowledge on what's acceptable?

Thanks

PeterT  

it involves heating to some temperature and cooling slowly  

well worth doing on any unknown shaft as many that shear have been fitted to a reversed side 

and the unwind creates a crack which propergates to a nice smooth failure but not for the driver or the car 

Pete

When discussing with the spring maker restorer we discussed not affecting the hardened bearing area I seem to remember he said heated to around 350/400 so it didn’t affect the hardening.

A jag E type ownerI know has used him eons ago to recon the front torsion suspension to neutralise any torsional memory no problems to date

He had a beautiful little red Honda S800 Coupe in restoring all the suspension, very interesting looking at the drive line and chain drives

Edited by Peter Truman