Wheel Stud Upgrade

One of the wheel studs on my Vitesse failed whilst I was diving down the motorway yesterday. It's the second time I've had one go. I believe that the Triumph studs can be changed for stronger/larger Landrover Freelander items. 

Has anyone carried this out on their car? Will Freelander wheel nuts be suitable for use with Minilite alloy wheels? 

there are many studs available , even the  7/16" unf big saloon and TR which retain the UNF threads rather than go  12mm metric. they all fit the existing stud holes.  some use rover /ford   there a lot out there.

on some you may need to grind a small flat on the head to clear the machined register on the back of the front hubs, 

generally you will have to remove the disc to fit the front studs .

on rears they (if no too long ) can be retro fitted without removing the Hub flange , they just angle / fiddle in from the back 

on all use some stout washers and a wheel nut to pull the studs into the exiting holes.

unless you have shoulder/spigoted wheel nuts the normal are any with a 60deg conical seat

Pete

Interesting subject, I think I will change the wheel studs on my Vitesse before I have an accident.

Pete Lewis = Newbie !! :D

Good to see you back on the TSSC forum Pete, welcome back! Why on earth did you sell your Vitesse?!?? :o

HI Roger,

not sure Im back !!

decided  to sell the trusty Vitesse 6 as needs change,  often run with  4 seniors and the old seats up down in out , open shut 

was getting tiresome the fun was a bit of buttock assistance getting the girls in the back ( Hmm)  so after many years of fun and having the 1600 on song she's gone and now have a Limo 4 doors two speed wipers and a boot with  more wine capacity.

so once shes all sorted a more refined flat cap and pipe image  ((really)    

shes done 10miles in last 10 years , so much to shake down, like just replaced all the aged braking , the servo disintegrated heading for a bus on a roundabout so its still exciting at times .

ye ha   Pete

Hi,

I fitted 12mm Land Rover studs to my GT6. they looked enormous compared to the original studs. There are a few versions some of which have a  chamfered shoulder and some not. The ones I got were chamfered so fitted without modification to the to the to the hub end of the stud. However the studs had too much plain shank so I had cut a few extra turns of thread with a die.

Chris

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

An addendum to this subject, I am trying to fit extended 7/16" studs to the rear of my GT6. There is not enough wriggle room to fit the new studs int to the hub and I have been advised that some people have cut a hole in the back plate to allow new studs to be fitted. Can anyone provide any further advice on how / where to cut the hole, I have a good sized steel drill nut don't know where best to cut the hole and from which side and if a pilot should be made first. The option to use a puller to release the hub and make space is one I'd like to avoid if at all possible

Thanks

Aidan

I did pull the hubs, but I had a hub puller available....

However, If your pilot drill is long enough, choose a sensible position to drill (IIRC approx level with the hub centre, towards the rear of the car, give or take), and do that using the hole left after you have knocked existing studs out. I have used stepped cone drills with great success for larger holes, may be a thought? And use a grommet once finished. 

Thanks Clive managed to get one side done For anyone else doing this I needed a 23 mm drill hole to just squeeze my new studs in Just need to get hold of some blanking grommets to close up the hole. Drilled the hole from the back starting with an 8 mm pilot drill. Just had to tidy it up with a file. Thanks