Mk3 GT6 Rear brake wheel cylinder refurb

Captain

Hello Andy.

Personally, braking items are non-negotiable. New only.

It's just not worth having the kits, as this only cures part of a problem - there may be wear on the housing wall which can never be rectified.

NOS cylinders are still available and of course companies like Canleys will have the correct items of an above decent standard. they are not expensive compared to the value of life !!

Regards.

Richard.

PS: great news to hear you got the tappet rods - well done. Hopefully they are the correct items ??

Thanks Richard, Pete and Doug,

I know you are all right about getting new ones.  I do need to know that they are going to work?  It was just that after cleaning the old cylinders up I saw that they had "Girling" embossed on them and I thought they'd be nice to keep for originality sake.  Then again they won't actually be seen!

Thanks for the advice, which I will go with.

Andy

Andy.

There is still a lot of NOS out there with Girling printed thereon; so I think you will not be disappointed. There are a couple of hydraulic sellers I know who sell at Beaulieu and a large amount of their stuff is either genuine Girling or Lockheed. 

Regards.

Richard.

If you have a gt6 mk3 from 73 then good luck hunting down the original size. Mine are the self adjusters (rubbish design) and I gave up searching and fitted the replacement but smaller ones. Be slightly careful of the brake balance if you do this and suggest a test drive on a quiet road to get the feel of them

Kevin

I too have self adjusters on my GT6, rimmer brothers apparently don't have these.... but after a bit of searching i found James Paddock LTD, http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/parts.aspx?categoryID=22&vehicleId=4, here is a list of all his brake stuff,

mine should arrive today and if the rain lets off i should be able to get her back on the road by this afternoon (if the postman ever turns up!) so i can let you know how they are. 

I have repaired cylinders on previous cars with new seal kits and to be honest with you i found it really wasn't worth the effort when they are so cheap to buy, like everyone else has said, if they are marked/damaged inside they will just blow again.

The part attached to the handbrake lever, which when the hand break is pulled it pushes outwards, turning the cog on the back of the cylinder which is on a screw, which in turn pushes the shoe out a little?

i just refurbished the ones i already had, i ordered some from rimmer but they were incorrect